1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN the Mag does Tony Washington story, Jenna Laine speaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is why I don't write serious stories.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boom,

Why do you continue beating up on Jenna on this when she already has addressed and recognized all the criticisms you keep regurgitating?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She and others have stated that her story did not hurt Washington's draft position. I am merely responding with further detail to support my contention.

Mr Washington went from being a fairly high rated OT to a non drafted player without any explanation.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Am I naive to think if he were that good, he would have been drafted (or at least invited to a camp)?

Maurice Clarett was drafted. The Bengals have shown that they will take anybody. Jerruh doesn't shy away from troubled talent. There's more evidence out there to support that talent trumps character in the NFL.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People make mistakes, Boom.

Some write stories that they regret. Some make less-than-judicious Tweets. Some beat up their girlfriends.

Can't we all just get along?

6. Boom_70

I have not been hostile. Just stated my case supported by facts.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're no gingerbread, big guy.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You forgot "Some fuck their sisters".

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Boom,

I did a story a couple of months ago -- after the NHL draft -- on why a couple of very highly rated prospects (according to the league's Central Scouting) fell significantly in the first round.

Four different team draft gurus said the same thing: "You cannot use those rankings as anything more than a guideline."

The reason? Central Scouting is only allowed to grade on physical ability. They do not conduct personal interviews. They are not allowed to factor off-ice/field issues. And, in Washington's case, those would be major. From what I understand, the NFL model is similar. So, while Washington may physically be worthy of consideration, there are other enormous factors to consider.

In 1996, the Patriots relinquished their draft rights to Christian Peter. Maybe other teams had the same worries. Who knows? But there is no way Jenna Laine's story was a surprise to any team or the NFL's security. They all knew that if they drafted Washington, this was coming.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Interesting insight on Central Scouting. Thanks.

11. Boom_70

Good insight Elliot - thank you. Here is list of players that rated lower than Washington that were drafted. Note that Washington rating was 5.6

[+]
    Scott, Chris OT 6'4" 319 Tennessee Pick 20, Round 5 (151) Steelers 5.5 -- Video
    Pick Analysis: null
    [+]
    Calloway, Kyle OT 6'6" 323 Iowa Pick 9, Round 7 (216) Bills 5.4 -- Video
    [+]
    Walton, J.D. C 6'3" 300 Baylor Pick 16, Round 3 (80) Broncos 5.3 -- Video
    [+]
    Young, Sam OT 6'8" 316 Notre Dame Pick 10, Round 6 (179) Cowboys 4.7 -- Video
    [+]
    Fox, Jason OT 6'7" 303 Miami Pick 30, Round 4 (128) Lions 4.6 --
    [+]
    Smith, Shelley OG 6'3" 300 Colorado State Pick 18, Round 6 (187) Texans 4.4 -- Video
    [+]
    Wang, Ed OT 6'5" 314 Virginia Tech Pick 9, Round 5 (140) Bills 3.7 -- Video
    [+]
    Olsen, Eric C 6'4" 306 Notre Dame Pick 14, Round 6 (183) Broncos 2.9 -- Video
    [+]
    Petrus, Mitch OG 6'3" 310 Arkansas Pick 16, Round 5 (147) Giants 2.9 -- Video
    [+]
    Lauvao, Shawn OT 6'2" 315 Arizona State Pick 28, Round 3 (92) Browns 2.4 -- Video
    Tennant, Matt C 6'5" 300 Boston College Pick 27, Round 5 (158) Saints 2.4 -- Video
    [+]
    Cook, Erik C 6'6" 318 New Mexico Pick 22, Round 7 (229) Redskins 2.0 -- Video
    Degeare, Chris OT 6'4" 325 Wake Forest Pick 30, Round 5 (161) Vikings 2.0 -- Video
    [+]
    Harewood, Ramon OT 6'7" 360 Morehouse Pick 25, Round 6 (194) Ravens 2.0 --
    [+]
    Hawley, Joe OG 6'3" 297 UNLV Pick 19, Round 4 (117) Falcons 2.0 -- Video
    [+]
    Newhouse, Marshall OT 6'4" 319 TCU Pick 38, Round 5 (169) Packers 2.0 --
    [+]
    Hudson, Otis OG 6'5" 312 Eastern Illinois Pick 21, Round 5 (152) Bengals -- --
    [+]
    McClendon, Jacques OG 6'2" 305 Tennessee Pick 31, Round 4 (129) Colts -- --
    [+]
    Webb, J'Marcus OT 6'8" 328 West Texas AM Pick 11, Round 7 (218) Bears -- --

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Boom, are you upset that the article hurt his draft status or are you upset because you think it hurt his draft status and that the author and others haven't acknowledged it?

Draft saved Draft deleted