1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN testing out the interest of MMA on its readers/listeners?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 24, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of my freelance writing clients is a regional magazine (average readership: 50-year-old women with time and money to burn), and they asked me last week for a profile on a local MMA guy. That floored me. And also told me that this thing isn't just a passing fad in the sports universe.

2. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I think ufc/mma is much like the internet - a fad.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not big ones. Spike, and pay-per-view, of course.

4. My bad ... I meant in terms of national sports web site coverage, and it seems like most of the major newspapers have done at least the trend piece on UFC, not on the television end.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Zuffa did a cocktail party at last year's APSE convention.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

OK, I have been around a long time, and I like to think I am on the clue bus.

But I had to look up MMA.

Is the acronym really that common across the country? I mean, I know what Ultimate Fighting is, but I always figured it as an offshoot of pro wrestling. I guess I have something to learn.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nope.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, poker is an entertainment, not a sport (if you counter me, prepare to defend Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson and a 90-year-old grandma as athletes). As for UFC, not my demographic, not my networks, not my place to judge.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Agreed, and ESPN still rides that train hard, trying to get every last gasp. No matter that ESPN is the last one on to the UFC train, once they get ahold of it, it too shall be run into the ground as a fad.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

That's because it's not an acronym. They're initials. D.A.R.E. is an acronym.

Draft saved Draft deleted