1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN taken to task for outdoors column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

2. tagline

tagline Member

Maybe I missed it, but where did the ESPN column say "Obama is about to ban fishing?" And, why do we care what some guy on examiner.com says?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The righty windbags on the radio have already taken off running with it. Must be on the daily talking points. Funny how that happens.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I read the story and couldn't understand what the issue was. More importantly, it gave no insight in to why Obama's Administration would want to ban fishing.

It's banning in some areas to allow for a sustainable level of fishing in other areas.

There is an environmental case and a debate.

I read ESPN a lot, that story was biased towards the sportsman's view I had to double check the source. Extremely slanted, and not well-written.

Essentially it tried to say Obama was banning off shore fishing. Not exactly.

The story needed to be more-balanced and fact based because this is the first most of us are hearing about it. What's the issue?

Edit: The examiner writer seems legit. Are we that much of a snob that we won't read anything that isn't from an old media source? Examiner has credibility issues, but that examiner writer passes the smell test.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The right likes to whip its folks up by saying Obama is about to ban something they like or force them to go into some government program. Yawn.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Drudge linked to this story yesterday.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Examiner article began by saying the column was the worst in the history of America.

Do you really want to hand credibility to someone who puts that much hyperbole in their work?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think the Examiner was closer to the truth than the ESPN article. That ESPN load was a fear-mongering, one-sided piece of crap with virtually no facts and almost all worst-case fears from one side of the argument and should have been spiked.

Does online have spikes?

I am pretty sure folks will still be able to catch a mess of crappie in a couple years.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Distinction missed: It was a column. An opinion piece made clear at the top and bottom of the piece. Whatever you think of the opinion is secondary. Just like the opinion of the Examiner piece.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The ESPN story was opinion? I don't know about that. That story sure seemed to read like a news story. The examiner story I didn't have a problem with. Hyperbole, yes, but it was a column and it had more cred than the ESPN story. If Montgomery wrote that story on the examiner, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

But, because it was on ESPN it blew up. That story did not meet the standards of ESPN, and it was unduly one sided and ill-formed.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was a load.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It actually didn't blow up until it went on Drudge.

Draft saved Draft deleted