1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN stupidity, part 3891

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, May 22, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Speaking of
    This mid 90s reminiscing reminds me of something heard on the radio the other day. It was spot on.

I was listening to a promo for Sirius radio on the lithium channel, a 90s grunge rock station. The promo went like this: "Lithium, for people who remember watching NBA triple headers on Saturday."

It reminded me about how, at one time I cared about NBA basketball and actually watched.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It wasn't directly directed at you. I don't think you "commented" just asked. But the "give me nightmares" shit is uncalled for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Cool.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I just think, as a frequent sports talk radio listener, it's difficult for most guys to get into hearing the female 'voice' as a host.

The best sports talk radio is opinionated, funny and comes with a forceful voice (Cowherd, Rome). The worst is fence-sitting and passive (Mike & Mike, Mike Tirico). Most of the women I've heard on ESPN Radio -- just Amy Lawrence, Tafoya, Linda Cohn -- generally fence-sit or try to have a powerful voice. It just doesn't work.

For most guys, if they want a forceful, aggressive female voice, they usually have to look no further than the couch in their home.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Release the hounds!

[​IMG]

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I don't care what she does for a living. TV. Radio. Print. Ugly is ugly and the nightmare remark was ... Ready? ... a freaking joke. And I have seen much more "classless" remarks made on this site.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why?

I have no problems listening to a female. It's better than Steve Phillips.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I apologize.

I really didn't mean those 17,123 posts.

I may have been drunk for all of them. I'm not really sure.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If she's the one that does weekends on ESPN, she's not even good enough to be blandly bad, like most of the ESPN weekend crew.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Tafoya is Oprah/Larry King/Edward R. Murrow compared with Amy Lawrence. It's not gender that's the issue, it's having something to say as well as reasonable syntax. Lawrence starts a sentence with no clue as to where it will end. (Of course, Dick Stockton has the same problem.)

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

Just for the record, I was only answering Ryan's question by posting the link. And if anyone's curious, I look pretty rancid myself.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Classifying a knuckledragging fratboy-type panderer as "best" is painfully moronic, IMO . . .
    or an indictment of an entire genre. I'll buy the latter.

Draft saved Draft deleted