1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN story on h.s. basketball team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boobie Miles, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It looked good to me.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I have numerous family members that were on or are on the fire department, and the audio of that firefighter telling his chief to tell his wife he loves her, knowing he was gonna die in that fire, was absolutely heartbreaking. Hell, I'm tearing up just typing this.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

They just teased it in the intro. Don't know when, but it'll be on.

Add: now.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Tom nailed it again.

That's a man who has found his niche in flushing out emotional and in-depth stories.

As a side, does anybody know what the Charleston paper wrote about this connection between sports and real heroism?

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Rinaldi is good at that stuff.

I feel bad for the team that lost, too, though.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

beautiful story, as noted. here's the BUT...

i'd like to see a story on the kid who hit that amazing shot. pretty neat other side of the coin about the team nobody was rooting for, don't ya think? also woulda liked to have heard from any of the officials about why it was waved off after their discussion.

don't mean to be a hardass, but those are pretty compelling parts of the story ignored. too bad the kids didn't win it on their own miracle shot.

if these points are too cranky. forgive me. i should perhaps stop myself from typing after midnight on a sunday night.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I knew what was going to happen and that was still a great stoy and I nearly teared up.

I'm with shockey, though, I'd like to know what happened to the kid that hit the shot and the other team.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Totally with you on that.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

thought the same Shockey. I guess I am becoming a bit too jaded but the story just did not grab me. I watch these things now and wonder how ESPN is manipulating me.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Boom, you and I are probably around the same age, because I feel the same way. Since ESPN has ceased trying to reach out to fortysomethings, its attempting to manipulate us.

That said, this was a terrific story: well-written, well-chronicled and extremely moving.

And yes, Shockey, I'd really like to know about the Spartanburg kid who hit the shot. That'd be a hell of a story as well.

11. bueller

bueller Member

Found these in the Spartanburg paper's archives.

Column: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080301/NEWS/777884395/-1/news20
    Gamer: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080301/NEWS/803010363/-1/news20

Second-day follow: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20080303/NEWS/332242160/0/COMMUNITIES02

12. bueller

bueller Member

Draft saved Draft deleted