1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN story on h.s. basketball team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boobie Miles, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I have no idea what board to post this on, but did anyone catch the story Tom Rinaldi did on a S. Carolina high school basketball team? I think it originally aired on Outside the Lines and they just showed it on SportsCenter. All I know is that the tears just stopped flowing. For those who didn't see it, here's the cliff notes version: the story was about a high school basketball coach/firefighter who died in a fire last summer. His team reached the state finals this season. They were up 2 with 1.7 seconds left and had a kid on the line shooting 1-and-1 to ice the game. He misses the first shot, opponent grabs the rebound, takes two dribbles and launches a shot from the opposite foul line and miraculously drills it. Absolute heart-breaker in of itself, let alone the back story. Anyways, refs meet, deem the shot did not get off in time and the team wins the title. Just an unreal package, with some gripping footage of the guy's last words in the fire, telling the dispatcher to tell his wife he loves her.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I had just IMd a friend a few minutes ago: "Damn, Tom Rinaldi made me cry yet again on the Sunday morning 'SportsCenter.'"

Great story. Worked with Tom about 10 years ago, and he's just the best.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

haven't seen it yet and i'm weeping already. :'( :'( :'(

4. Boobie Miles

No one does those types of stories better. His voice is just pitch-perfect for it.

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

He's one of the best TV writer I've ever seen. He writes all his own scripts, which is pretty rare in TV. I think he could be a columnist if he wanted to be, because he's such a good storyteller.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It got dusty here as well.

Amazing story, deftly handled and written. My 14-year-old and I were watching it and he said "That's unreal. Absolutely unreal."

When the Spartanburg kid hit the miracle shot. I was almost in tears myself, saying over and over again, "That's so not right." And I had nothing invested in either of these teams.

THAT'S story-telling.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Tom Rinaldi is just fantastic.

I missed it, but I'll be looking for it online.

8. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I remember reading about this when it happened a few months back, yet I was still riveted by Rinaldi's narrative and how he was presenting the story. Now THAT'S storytelling! :)

9. Boobie Miles

I knew nothing of the story so when I thought that was they lost I got a terrible feeling in my stomach. Amazing that ESPN was following the team having no idea how that game would go and that's the ending they get.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it would be on tonight's SC after the Mets/Dodgers game. They are usually good at re-running an human interest piece from the morning show.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Here's the shot:

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The one kid almost goaltended -- on a 90-foot shot. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted