1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN sinks to new lows of cross-promotion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, May 25, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

John Anderson is swallowing his pride and comparing the slumping Pirates to the Pirates of the Carribbean movie. Disney, of course, owns ESPN and is releasing the new Pirates movie.

Oh my God and now they're interspersing clips of the Pirates with the new Pirates movie.

I know, I know: Don't watch. But some of this shit just boggles the mind.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Everything that has happened with Arena Football in the last 12 months obliterated any thoughts I may have had of ESPN being concerned about conflict of interest.

3. Thanks for reminding me why I don't watch.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, I'll take Jack Friggin' Sparrow over Adam LaRoche any day.

5. Sparrow could probably hit .200.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Can't hit a curveball, though. He and Jesus both.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still don't know if that's worse than ESPN cross-promoting its cell phone when cutting to an interview with someone about Kirby Puckett's death. Both were shameless, though, which comes as no surprise.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Wait until ESPN partners with Wal-Mart!

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

If I remember correctly, that was just the use of the cell phone as an indication that the person was calling in, right? I'm not terribly broken up about that. That, to me, is just branding, which they're allowed to do. Same as putting their crawl at the bottom of the screen. Not exactly reverent, but not as shameless as this (or coercing employees to wear AFL gear), I feel.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn I'd forgotten about that. That was much, much worse.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is not news. We could start this thread every fucking day.
    Disney finds ways to sink to new lows in cross-promotion every second.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw that when I was drinking; made me think I was more drunk than I was. Man, that character needs to lay off the eye shadow.

Draft saved Draft deleted