1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN returns to roots, get Aussie Rules Football again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of my college rugby teammates spent a summer in Australia and played some Aussie Rules. He said that in Australia, they called it "aerial ping pong for sissies."
    He said the really tough game was rugby league.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

OLIVIA POWER!

3. statrat

statrat Member

[​IMG]

Freo, way to go! We are the Freo Dockers!

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Two more teams will be added soon. The Gold Coast is getting one and western Sydney should get the second. The problem with the two of the main football codes in Australia is regionalism. Melbourne has 10 AFL teams and rugby league is concentrated main around Sydney.

I'll still take a meat pie, though.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No good until the refs ditch the "updated" uniforms.

[​IMG]

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't know why instead of the 300th repeat of SportsCenter at 2 a.m. they don't show AFL. I don't know the rules or strategy, but it's fun as hell to watch.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Go Bombers!

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I don't understand that, Small.

I used to watch this all the time in ESPN's Stone Age. Every game featured guys running up each other's backs like they were climbing a ladder, kicking each other in the stomach to take "marks" (the catch they make from an advancing kick) and other bone-jarring extracurriculars -- and there are no whistles or calls on this. It's "play on."

Yeah, rugby guys are badasses. Yeah, we get that. But these guys aren't pansies either, especially with the amount of running they do.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Canadians take note: TSN is running a game tonight (Saturday morning) at 3:30 a.m. ET. Just found out about it. Enjoy!

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

An interesting SI article I remembered comparing AFL, rugby league and NFL:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1016586/index.htm

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The only interesting part of league is all the shenanigans players get up to off the field.

Play union or don't even bother.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted