1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reports Joe Pa signed a three year extension.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 16, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this is a recruiting move. Every kid who signs with Penn State wants to play for Joe Pa. He IS that school. But I also think Paterno will step down either after the bowl game or national signing day, and while he'll remain a big part of the program he will relinquish day to day control and game day stuff, but still help recruit and be part of the strategy sessions, kind of like Brokaw's status at NBC.
    That's just speculation, but the timing was very curious.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Joe Pa will get carried out. He will never step down. The force is strong with him.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As a 70-something Casey Stengel once said, ``People my age are dead tomorrow, and you can look it up.''

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dan, I can't understand why that would happen right now. He's feeling good for the first time in a while after the new hip. Win or lose on New Year's Day, he'll be coming off a big season. He's silenced a lot of the questioners. He's landed what will be his next quarterback, and apparently a pretty good one.

I could see him doing what you're saying to end 2005. Not now.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm glad I never had that experience. Closest I came was when I took a logic class with about 70 or so students. The big class met twice a week and then broke down into a recitation for the third day. Other than that, all my classes were no more than like 30 students. Some of them had fewer.

Of course, the fact I transferred in as a junior probably had something to do with it.

But, back on topic. I don't think the analogy of having a prof who "teaches" the class but has a TA actually do the lectures is an accurate one. Unless, of course, Joe Pa is letting his assistants run practice, handle the media, discipline the players, etc.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hey I'm not saying it is a lock, but when you're 81 years old and recruiting against Jim Tressell, Nick Saban and Charlie Weis, you know people are telling recruits Paterno might be retiring any day. Heck, if I was recruiting against JoePa, that's what I would do. (I'd also be telling recruits Weis is on thin ice and might not be there for the full five years, Saban's never lasted more than five years in one place and Tressell might take the Browns job).

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he didn't, to be honest.

This year was not the surprise 2005 was... everyone knew they had the weapons to compete, and they've been much more competitive in recent years than that hideous 2003-04 stretch.

Where is Devlin going?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm gonna disagree with you one one point...did you really think they were national title contenders?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No, and like in 2005, they lucked into the race thanks to some other teams picking up key losses. They definitely were capable of winning 10 or 11 games, people saw that early on.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My guess is that Devlin is going to that little ol' quarterback factory, the University of Delaware.

Hell, he'd damn near be able to commute.

Draft saved Draft deleted