1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reports Iverson headed to Detroit for Billups and others

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JakeandElwood, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Excellent trade for Detroit. Exactly what they needed, but like Mustang said, it would've been nice to see Sheed traded instead. Detroit is definitely a better team now. They finally have a player to go to if they need a score late in the game which was something that they desperately needed. It also makes them a better defensive team. But I dont think Iverson has to play point guard. They could go small:
    PG Stuckey
    SG Iverson
    SF Hamilton
    PF Prince
    C Sheed

P.S. And like someone else mentioned in this thread, McDyess might end up coming back to the Pistons.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It looks like it was a cap move for the Nuggets and they may cut Dyess. He would then sign with the Pistons. Dumars has a history of doing things like that.

And Chuck you are right, they could go small like that but it would be very difficult for Hamilton to play the three. And we all know how 'Sheed likes to stand on the three point line all day.

The interesting thing will be to see how Maxiell and Johnson pan out. They don't look to be strong enough starters for a NBA Championship caliber team.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/11/pistons_to_trade_billups_mcdye.html

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think Iverson fits better in Detroit than Denver. Although I've seen Rasheed be a knucklehead in the past, looking at the past few years he's anything but a gunner, he just wants to win; if anything I've thought he should demand the ball more in the post.

I got the chance to see Iverson in person last year from the 5th row in Oakland and was amazed at how he scored. He is a small guy who still gets to the rim and has a nice mid range jumper off the dribble. He gets knocked around and still gets back up. Yeah he complains and that turns me off but I had some renewed respect for him after watching some 5'10" guy play at his level in the NBA. His D is poor but the rest of the Pistons can make up for it.

For the Nuggets I'm scratching my head, they are now on the hook for 4 years of Billups rather than getting $20M off the cap this summer. He's one of the most sublime players I've ever seen but he is getting injury prone, more so than Iverson. Plus they are buying out McDyess so they really must have wanted Billups.

5. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

This trade doesn't make a lot of sense for a team that likes to brag about its 'team defense.' Iverson played on one of the worst defensive teams in the modern era last year. Cavs should win this division pretty handily now.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Webster, full disclosure: I am not an Iverson fan and it dates back to the "practice" rant.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I wouldn't say he's a reject, but he's somewhere between Rasheed Wallace and Ricky Davis.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Great move for the Pistons.

Detroit is high on Stuckey and so am I. The kid can play. Billups is overpaid and on the decline. It's saving the Pistons cap space and adding some much-needed offense.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Iverson may have his issues, but I don't think you can ever fault his efforts on the court. He's a tough little son of a gun.

For the Pistons, I think this trade is about the long term. It may not help them a ton this year, but I think it will pay off later on.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Jedi Mind Trick soon to completion. Detroit radio stations are reporting McDyess will be bought out by the Nuggets and resign with the pistons after being cut.

So the Pistons get Iverson for Billups and CHiekh Samb and get McDyess back, basically for free and don't have to sign him next year.

Then they have the option of 35 million in cap space if they don't sign Iverson or Sheed next year; which is supposed to be huge for free agency.

They will have 39 million of free cap space if they dont resign kwame Brown. $ 39 million is enough to sign two NBA superstars to max contracts.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, do the Pistons throw their hat in the ring for LeBron?

I think Dumars is the kind of guy who will make a strong push for him.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'd say the push for Bosh.

They'd need a center more than anything; Johnson and Maxiell would come off the bench. And then they could sign a guard/forward combo to back up Stuckey/Hamilton/Prince.

Draft saved Draft deleted