1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reporting that Miami is thinking about trading Shaq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

http://my.break.com/Content/view.aspx?ContentID=448029

Pretty funny. Has nothing to do with the trade, but everything to do with Shaq.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Only thing I can figure is maybe the Suns know something about Shaq that the rest of us don't, because if he continues to look like he has the 1st half of this season, that's a terrible move. They just committed to pay 20 million/year to a guy with no legs. And, if he now suddenly finds his legs, Miami should demand some money back--Randy Moss and Vince Carter would be disgusted at someone slacking that egregiously.

4. Troy

Troy New Member

The fact that the Suns actually wanted Shaquille O'Neal's 2-years/40 million left on his contract, appalls me. Steve Kerr is one of the greatest roleplayers in NBA history, but he's a mediocre GM for pulling this trigger.

Shaq has bad knees, is overweight, out of shape (adding to the overweight) and won't fit the 7-man rotation they're supposed to run! Good luck to Shaq, as he will probably come off the bench, or if not, good luck to him as he runs for 48-minutes straight as a 35-year-old/soon to be 36-in-March man.

5. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

For the NBA writers out there, what happens now with the Hawks-Heat game from Dec. 19?

Atlanta "won" 117-111 in OT. The Heat protested when Shaq fouled out despite having only five fouls. The NBA upheld the protest, and the teams are to replay the game from the point where Shaq erroneously fouled out on March 8.

Since the protest was all about Shaq, does he suit up again for the Heat that day? Does the NBA let the original win stand now? Curious to see how the NBA handles that.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few points...

He still has injury issues, obviously, but is not particularly overweight at this point -- down to about 312 and lighter than he's been in quite a while.

As for fitting the team -- D'Antoni makes the point, and I think it's a good one, that he can fit exactly the same role Kareem did during Showtime. He's not out on the fast break, but he comes up when it slows into a halfcourt offense.

As for his age -- Marion was likely opting out after this season, and that probably would have shut the window of opportunity anyway. Shaq may keep it open through next season, assuming this works. And it ain't my money.

The chemistry has been pretty bad for the Suns this year, and replacing a mopey whiner with Shaq, a generally well-liked guy, should help.

I'm not completely sold on this, but I understand why they did it and I think it might work.

By the way, already on the team shop website:

[​IMG]

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's pretty cool.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Excellent first post Wendell. Welcome aboard.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would assume they continue the game without Shaq or Marion. I don't see how anything else makes sense. That's how ROn Guidry found himself in CF for the end of the pine tar game, replacing the traded Jerry Mumphrey (IIRC).

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We do have one. You type a sentence in blue and it's an indication of blatant sarcasm.

If we didn't have that, I'd go with my old standby if I want no doubt that I'm using sarcasm: <sarcasm></sarcasm>.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I bet they still replay it.

12. I remember when the Nets protested a game against the Sixers in November of '78 and they re-played it in March of '79 I believe. In between time, the Nets and the Sixers made a trade (Harvey Catchings and Ralph Simpson for Eric Money and current BC coach Al Skinner), and they had the players trade places back onto their original teams for the game.

It's possible that arrangement could be made.

Draft saved Draft deleted