1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reporting that Miami is thinking about trading Shaq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

It would be an awful deal for the Suns; if Stoudemire and Diaw stay on the bench, Suns win 2006-07 NBA title.
    Why trade a vibrant Marion for a morbid Shaq: To use an often-used quote from Bill Walton: "Whaaaat arrrrr theeey thinnnnkinggg," which I'll use in reference to Suns' management.

2. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

It's reportedly gone beyond rumor, Shaq for Marion is done pending big-man's physical.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23019005/

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Is there any way he'll even pass the physical?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Look closer at the story, though - the headline says it's done, the story does not.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Of course, absent a couple bad calls and some ridiculously unfair leaving the bench suspensions, they quite likely would've gone to the finals and won it all last year. This is a classic panic move by the Suns, and whoever said its an Isiah move is dead on--trading for the washed up former superstar with the insanely overpriced contract--that is SO Isiah-ish.

Also, I'm surprised I haven't heard more about how completely incompatible Shaq is with the offensive system the Suns have been running for 4 years now. They'd have to thoroughly slow down to make Shaq a part of the offense, but slowing down's gonna neutralize what makes Nash such a special player. And Nash's dribble drives/dishes that form the heart of their half-court offense require space in the middle, space that's now gonna be clogged up if they've got an immobile 330 lb stiff camped out there.

If Shaq had shown even a hint this year that he can still play like his old dominating self, this might arguably make sense, but given the way he has looked, it's just a panic overreaction to the Lakers getting Gasol.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the Suns want him to pass the physical, he will. Given Shaq's health, whether he passes the physical is the doctor's choice. It's highly likely that the doctors could fail him, then squeeze another player or pick from the Heat to take him anyway.

I know Marion is a malcontent, but this trade is still ridiculously one-sided...

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Know how not to get "ridiculously unfair leaving the bench suspensions"? Don't leave the bench.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Suns may want to invest in a defillabrator to keep by the bench during games.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Teams with marginal defenses always seem to find a way to rationalize away May/June losses.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great trade for the Heat.

Wow.... I can't believe they unloaded him.

11. Marion's been a malcontent for three years and it was only going to get worse.
    Hell, they were talking about sending him to the Celtics a couple of years ago for a bag of doorknobs.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

when does his deal expire?

Draft saved Draft deleted