1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN reporting that Miami is thinking about trading Shaq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Feb 5, 2008.

1. I agree, rumple.

But putting Shaq back in the West sure would spice things up.

2. hachat11

hachat11 Member

The problem with buying time in the West while Shaq would get into shape is that Phoenix doesn't have a whole lot of cushion.
    They could quickly drop in the standings and that would be bad news for a loaded conference. Plus, who is going to get those minutes? Brian Skinner.

I think this is a desperate move that's going to fail.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

First Chris Webber gets traded back to the West, and now possibly Shaq? It's like 1993 all over again.
    The biggest reasons this move makes no sense for Phoenix is 1) Shaq is still hurt with hip and quad inflammations and who knows what else, 2) if you look at the careers of prominent big men, they've all faded away about the same time that he's started to, and 3) in no way is worth that $20 mil/year pricetag. Shaq 2 years ago maybe, but not now. Bad move by the Suns.

Edit: Webber was signed as a free agent.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Do it, please. [/SteveNashJunkie]

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I can understand the Suns thinking they need more of an inside presence, especially with the way the Lakers' front line shapes up now, but a broken-down Shaq with two more years at $20 mil per after this one? That's just crazy.

Maybe someone can bring the Phx front office to its senses by putting it this way: This is the kind of deal Isiah would make.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Speaking of that... the Heat is crazy if it doesn't make that call. Because you just know there is a 60 percent chance the Knicks would do it. Who gives a damn who you get in return. Just get that $40 million off your books.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't think this is a great deal for Phoenix, but here's why they do the deal:

They've been a great regular season team for a few years now. They have flamed out in the playoffs with Nash, not even making it to the finals. Marion can opt out of his contract soon. There are rumors that Dallas was going to get Shaq for peanuts (think Stackhouse + filler in a Memphis/Lakers-esque deal that was purely a contract dump on Miami's part) and this is a reactionary move by the Suns to keep Shaq from Dallas. This is a low risk-high reward deal for the Suns. They aren't going to do any worse in the playoffs with Shaq as they have done with Marion in the past. This move also allows the possibility of Boris Diaw getting more PT. He played great in the year he got big minutes when Amare was hurt.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

That's a perfect description. Even Kevin McHale would pass on this deal.

9. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

My bad, bro. I'm so used to blind Shaq love, I missed your sarcasm. We need to make a sarcasm font for dense a-holes like me.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah. good idea. from this day forward, i decree that all blue font at SportsJournalists.com is sarcasm font. you will abide by these rules or suffer the consequences people.

11. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Shaq and Stoudemire basically play the same position and are going to clog up the lane big time when Nash tries to penetrate. Also, defensively the Suns will be a little bit worse.
    And, I know it was just one game, but Gasol looked awfully comfortable in the triangle tonight and has the versatility to play at the top of the paint when Bynum gets back, making the Lakers an awful matchup with their quickness against Shaq.

Anyone else think Kobe is salivating at the thought of being able to eliminate both the Suns (who the Lakers have a heated rivalry with) and Shaq in one fell swoop?

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Anyone see Miami a lot? Did Shaq get double, triple-teamed a lot? They couldn't really stretch the floor like Suns do. Could free him up. Just a though, no clue if it's true.

Draft saved Draft deleted