1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN puts forth harsh Internet policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stay Thirsty My Friends, Aug 4, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I like that. That's a good breakdown of the legalese.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would add a 3rd point:

We own your brain and any cognizant thoughts that you may have.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Of course, that would discriminate against those who have no discernible cognizant thoughts.

4. Boom_70

Then most lilely they would not be twittering .

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. all your social networking are belong to us.

6. Boom_70

Good one x man . welcome back!

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

You're kidding, right? Have you ever been on Twitter?

99 percent of everything on it seems to be written by those with no discernable cognizant thoughts.

It brings to mind that line in the Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy asks the Scarecrow how he can talk if he has no brain, and the Scarecrow replies, ``I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?''

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're clearly following the wrong people.

Twitter can be a great resource. Unless, of course, you're only following those with no discernable cognizant thoughts.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

It can be a great resource, yet still dominated by idiots.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you think it's dominated by idiots, then I think you're following the wrong people.

I have to read 99 percent more idiocy on this site, or a dozen others, than I do on my Twitter feed.

11. Does this apply to employees of ESPNChicago.com?

12. Boom_70

Sounds like policy does apply to social message boards. Saw this note posted on another message board that I follow:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey everyone. Bad news, at least for me. Just got a companywide e-blast enjoining us from using certain forms of social networking. Of which this is one.

To adhere to the letter and spirit of that instruction, and since I'm registered here under my own name, I'm going to have to go ahead and nuke myself.

So for the moment I find myself leaving - much too soon and with great regret - but send you all my fondest regards.

Draft saved Draft deleted