1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN puts forth harsh Internet policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stay Thirsty My Friends, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Plus tweets aren't being edited, right? So maybe they want to have firmer control over the content their people are producing. It's not the stuff of China and North Korea.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

That would be interesting.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm just glad we won't have to see shots of Linda Cohn's tweet.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wouldn't be the first media entity trying to direct readers to its own "community." Not sure, other than some fanboi and recruiting message boards, if that's ever been successful, though.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What made me think of it was how many people couldn't figure out the thing, when all we've been hearing about is how you have to use all these platforms to drive traffic to your company's site. But, if your company creates its own platforms ...

Wouldn't be the first time ESPN has tried to stake out new horizons.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know a few writers at ESPN that consider themselves anti establishment types. It's going to be hard for them to accept this type of encrochment on their freedom by the man ( mouse).

It's a matter of choosing paycheck over principles.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've been at that crossroads before, in a very different context.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I regard this action by ESPN as censorship. It's more like intellectual property (there's a loose use of that terms) protection. Twitter is a competing medium after all. They don't let their guys go on Fox Sports or write for SI, either.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Successful ... therein lies the rub.

ESPN should be the one to do it, especially with respect to sports media. Moderation would most certainly be one of the top challenges.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Meh ... there are other jobs out there, right? Right?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

For all the theories and analysis, I think we can sum up the Memo in two points:

1. We have a website, a magazine, and 42 channels...if you have something to say, say it here.

And 2, Do Not Fucking Embarrass Us. Ever.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As usual, 21 sums things up quite succinctly.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted