1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN puts forth harsh Internet policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stay Thirsty My Friends, Aug 4, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Isn't this what has been discussed repeatedly about blogs (BLOGS!) and the Interwebs with newspapers? Be professional? Don't post things online that would harm credibility or the brand?

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Well, here's one person who thinks this is a bit much ...

http://mashable.com/2009/08/04/espn-twitter/

And, I know Simmons gets hated on by many on this board, but I thought his reaction to Ric Bucher spilling the beans about this was pretty funny. Via Twitter:

sportsguy33 A clip from Robert DeNiro's upcoming movie, "The Ric Bucher Story." http://tinyurl.com/c3rm7u

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The policy applies to writers.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The genesis (blame?) for this ESPN memo/ban is a Tweet duel between NFL analyst Mark Schlereth and OchoCinco of the Bengals. Kinda like Monty Python's classic Twit Of The Year olympics.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I'm not surprised that Ms. Hill has something to do with this happening. (I say that fully believing that such a policy is a good thing for everyone in the media industry.) Not a big fan of her, her writing or ESPN. Big shocker!

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That was the key line, indeed.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ahh - now the reason is clear why some noted ESPNers no longer post here at SJ.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When did Hitler take over ESPN?

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

There has to be room however for a writer to be a human, kind of a virtual lounge to unwind in. If you don't talk sports on your Facebook page, would you have to still be representing your outlet? We aren't our work persona all the time... (I am not suggesting that anyone post photos of themselves naked with a beer bong...)

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tyrannosaurus BTExpress has no idea what this means.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He didn't but Captain Queeg did.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Didn't he tweet about his missing strawberries?

Draft saved Draft deleted