1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN puts forth harsh Internet policy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stay Thirsty My Friends, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but ...

I'm guessing sites such as this are included in this new policy, though I could be wrong.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So I guess that'll cut into the tweets I get from Joe Schad.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So, hm, what would that mean for espners who, say, post on SJ?

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Outing alert: 21 is Six Toes Cohn.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So they're treating it like freelancing while you're on a newspaper payroll. Draconian restrictions, and it's not quite the same, since it's not something you're being paid to do. But it is putting out sports viewpoint while you're on the ESPN dime

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Assume at all times you are representing ESPN
    If you wouldn't say it on the air or write it in your column, don't tweet it

This is tremendous advice for any writer, reporter, columnist, TV anchor, radio host, etc. Just fill in name of your media outlet in place of ESPN.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to get that.

I agree with 'da man' (I'm sorry, that looked weird without quotes), and will make the general assumption that we won't be seeing many/any espn folks posting under their own names on this site.

8. dooley_womack1

Someone could cause some real sock-puppetry mischief.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Earlier today, Jemele Hill and Chad Johnson were twittering/tweeting about interracial dating. From what I saw, Johnson was against it and she was promoting his U-Stream about it, nothing more. (Although, I thought the exchange was so stupid and mind-numbing that I ignored it after a bit.)

This memo was probably in the works before that exchange, but it may not be a coincidence it came out today.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Damn. We've been outed.

11. dooley_womack1

Could have been worse.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing wrong with cutting back to an even two dozen a day.

I can think of one here who rarely posts about sports, so they're good... I am so going to burn in hell...

Draft saved Draft deleted