1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN pulls out the kneepads for Donte Stallworth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

SEVEN! SEVEN miles an hour! And normally, when I stop people, they pull over on to the SHOULDER!"

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Look, just because Stallworth flashed his lights, beeped his horn, had time to change CDs in his car, answered three phone calls and stretched for three minutes DOES NOT MEAN he could have hit his breaks. You've got to be careful in those situations, if you apply the brakes too hard, you're going to mess them up.

I think the worse thing that could have happened here is Donte messed up his break pads. Those things cost like $40 or so to fix.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Didn't yours?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Meanwhile, Cecil Collins does 15 years for breaking into a woman's home and staring at her

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So what you're saying is criminals who play for the Dolphins should get lighter sentences?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What she said.

As for the interview, aside from Smith letting him off the hook about having time to flick his lights and honk his horn, but not enough time to stop, Smith did a decent job. That was a biggie, though.

Also, it turns out that the Miami police have a surveillance video of the crash that has been sealed by court order that basically showed Reyes doing what Stallworth said, running in front of the car. It appears the D.A. knew it would be difficult, if not impossible to get a conviction on the manslaughter charge, which was no small part in his decision to agree to the light jail sentence.

Can a newspaper file an FOIA to get the video? I don't have a real desire to see a man killed, but I admit I'm curious about how quickly it all happened and if there's any chance Stallworth could have stopped had he not been intoxicated.

Another question I have is, Stallworth tested positive for marijuana, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was high, right? I'm assuming there was a hair sample taken or something like that, which would only prove that he has used it recently, not that he was high at the time. I'm not aware of any breathalyzer-type test for marijuana. Am I wrong here?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I believe they have a saliva test that can tell if you've smoked recently. I think it's used to try and catch people on the job.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Does anyone else find the fact that the WWL could only look deep into themselves, gird their loins, then step up to offer a munificent $500 . . . UTTERLY F'N HYSTERICAL?

That's 1959 money. What year are we in, now?

Cough it up, kids. Cough. It. Up.

9. Simon_Cowbell

No... I'm saying that you really should save your fingers the trauma of colliding with a keyboard until you are ready to join us at the adult table.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

CNBC is just as bad pulling out the kneepads when they interview business execs.

These conflicts of interests destroy any pretense of journalism.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No, not my point.
    My point is that whatever time he had at whatever speed he was traveling would have been better spent taking evasive action than trying to warn a guy in the street to move. If you saw something in the road, would you try to miss it, or try to get it to miss you? What's more under your control?

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I find it amazing how everyone is all pumping up Michael Vick as well. Vick is such a great guy because he's out there talking to inner city kids about the trappings of dogfighting. Is dogfighting really this pressing problem with inner city kids? I would think someone like Vick could have a little more positive effect if he would talk about something that's actually a big problem. ESPN is a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted