1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN pulls out the kneepads for Donte Stallworth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just lets Stallworth blithely say that he was driving "40 mph, flicked his lights and honked his horn" before hitting the guy in Miami.

You cannot be driving that slowly, have time to flick the lights and still hit someone.

Utter fucking bullshit.

Is there not a single sports JOURNALIST?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

All while his BAC was twice over the legal limit, and under the influence of marijuana.

I saw that interview earlier this evening.

I don't buy it.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't either. But it doesn't really matter how fast he was going. He was drunk as shit and stoned to boot. He's lucky he only killed one person.

4. Simon_Cowbell

You ever driven 40 mph?

You couldn't run over anyone who you had time to flash the lights at.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just watched the clip. Smith did ask him if he thought he got off easy.

Would like to see the raw tape to see what he asked after the answer that has Simon frothing.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think he was driving 40 mph. He probably thought he was though.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Now you are starting to get my plea for just one single journalist to exist in Bristol

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But he's VERY VERY SORRY!!!

that he got caught

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The next very very very sorry fuckup in line for the ESPN slurpalicious fellatio treatment: Charles Rogers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Charles-Rogers-was-extremely-devoted-to-weed?urn=nfl,180873

Gee whiz, how interesting, how intriguing. Stoned out of his gourd every day. Flamed out of the NFL. Now he's very very sorry. Boo fucking hoo. Good night Charlie zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bad for business, dude.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's not really a fair statement, considering he pulled over and called 911. But don't let the facts get in the way.

As for Simon's point, you're right on. When he said he flicked his lights and honked the horn, I thought, "Probably should have just slammed on the brakes, buddy." He later added that he applied the brakes, but still.

I'm not sure why any defense lawyer would allow him to say that he flashed his lights and honked the horn. On his 911 tape he says the guy jumped out in front of him. That's the story I would have stuck with. "I didn't warn him, didn't flash my lights at him. The guy friggin ran out in the middle of the street and I couldn't stop." Why the hell would anyone say they flashed their lights and honked their horn before plowing into someone?

That said, case has run its course through the courts and Stallworth paid the price a judge and the victim's family were comfortable with (if it took a large, undisclosed monetary settlement to make the family feel that way, so be it). I'm not going to spend anymore time wailing about the need to punish Donte Stallworth further for something that has absolutely no impact on me.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So after killing someone and serving all of 24 days in jail, Donte Stallworth went looking for and got sympathy from the jerks at ESPN who will never say anything bad about anyone in the NFKL because it might hurt their "corporate partner."

Why am I not surprised? Why would anyone watch ESPN for anything other than live games?

Draft saved Draft deleted