1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN presents The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 26, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm probably the only poster who hasn't given one of those "Bubbler, that was an all-time great post" post, until now. I'm still laughing.

It's funny 'cause its true.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i thought it was excellent. 8) 8) 8)

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

STAR
    MAN
    TO CITY:
    DROP DEAD

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Should have done a series on The Bronx Zoo. If you can't get excited for fights with marshmallow salesmen and Sparky Lyle making assprints on birthday cakes, you can't be my friend no 'mo.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I saw the preview on the Internet. I'm pretty sure Jason Giambi makes a cameo as a cabbie. The emotional "outbursts" by Platt and Turturro were laughably below their actual talents as actors. But the guy who is playing Thurman Munson (I have no idea who the actor is) looks a lot like him.

But this is all based on one viewing of the preview on the Internet.

6. Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Not the best thing I have every seen, but it sure as hell beats anything on Fox Family!
    Liked Platt and Turturro.

I noticed Graig Nettles and Jimmy Breslin are both listed as consultants for the show.

Not sure about the Thurman Munson portrayal though. Most things I have read about Munson - portrayed him as a asshole.
    In the show, he comes off simply as Reggie's nemeisis. A so far, neither of them seem to be bad guys.
    Billy Martin was one of the biggest jackasses in managerial history, but so far, we've seen none of that.

I get the impression the show will not portray anyone in a bad light.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Compared to some of the Orly Adelson shlock ESPN has put out, this isn't as bad as it could have been. Franco from Rescue Me as Reggie isn't as eloquent as he should be, but I think Turturro and Platt are doing a good job not making Steinbrenner and Martin seem more human. Love the guys playing Yogi and Mickey Rivers.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Anyone notice that two of the sportswriters are Ferris' buddy in the Red Wings jersey and Tony's Soprano's lawn guy?

9. boots

boots New Member

Casty and Spnited will back me on this. Thurman was not a nice guy to the press. He went over and beyond to present himself that way.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Is there anyone here who was living in NY during that time? Reactions to the protrayal of the son of sam situation?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thurman loved to play the tough guy role but, as boots said, was really a pretty nice guy.
    He was, however, very sensitive to anything that was written about him

12. boots

boots New Member

Yes, many players say they don't read the papers. He did.

Draft saved Draft deleted