1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN presents The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

About a mostly-forgotten pennant race from three decades ago. 88% of the nation's fans really don't give a shit about the New York Yankees.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, that 12 percent is probably among the highest rate (just for arguendo sake playing on your turf). So would a tale of the 1979 Royals be more compelling? Should we just not do historical profiles, because at least 90 percent of the country doesn't care about that team, generally speaking?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And in case you don't understand, Starman, this is not just about the New York Yankees.
    But, then again, 88% of the country doesn't care about the City of New York in 1977 ... as opposed to 100% of the country that couldn't give a fuck about whatever state you live in right now.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

AND WE'RE OFF!!!!

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Nice sig pic, BYH.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Ignoring the fact that you are completely wrong about what the miniseries is about, are you suggesting that TV programming should only be about recent and well-remembered events that the majority of the audience cares about?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Isn't it conveeeenient that since this year's edition of the Yankees is in the shitter, ESPN pumps together a boatload of shit on a Yankees team from a generation ago, to be run on a virtually endless loop to fill the lonely hours between the 273 Yankees-Red Sox games still remaining on the broadcast schedule.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have no boxer in this bout (the phrase "no dog in this fight" kinda makes me squirm nowadays), but Starman, my guess is this film had to be greenlit long before the Yankees took a big giant turd on '07. That the Yankees are toast is just coincidence.

And if the Sox are 100 games ahead of the Yankees and the Yankees are under .500 in August and Sept, I'll be surprised if those games are on Sunday night. Not shocked, of course, but surprised.

I'd rather see this movie than NFL Live Presents: The Third-String Long Snappers You Need To Know.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I haven't seen any of the commercials for the production, but I'd think this book would have translated far better into a SportsCentury treatment.

10. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Know someone close to the project--they started working on this last summer. They're allegedly going to go heavier on the Yankees angle than what was presented in the book. And there was a Q&A with Oliver Platt about playing Steinbrenner a few months ago on Sports Illustrated.

11. I liked this movie when Spike Lee made it.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Save this post. After the show is over, lets all check off exactly how right Bubbler is.

Draft saved Draft deleted