1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN presents The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 26, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because there actually are times when my pal BYH sinks lower than the troll know as simonpubejavert

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thank you sir.

[SinceIwaslessthanamontholdwhenGame6happenedIhavetosaythat.]

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Only when he's licking toes [/deadtosc]

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Spnited has a hard time admitting he likes me, so he just lashes out. It's OK. I'm used to it.

5. dooley_womack1

Does he at least give you a reacharound?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, dickhead (and dools,too), I like you but there are times when you can act as much as troll as you know who (Doc doesn't want me to bring "him" into the conversation).

You see, there were questions raised about The Bronx is Burning, then there was a correlation made to The Summer of Sam.
    Having actually been in Yankee Stadium (but not Boston) for a lot of what is covered in The Bronx in Burning, and having read the book and absolutely loved the way the baseball season is intertwined with all that went on in New York City that year, having actually experienced that bizarre summer (of Sam) ... well. you see there are times we try to have intelligent, serious conversations about a topic.
    Minus the stupid age jokes etc.

The growing probelm around here is that every thread has to be interrupted by somebody's stupidity.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hope I win the lottery and get hired as the model for 12-inch dildos, but wishing for it won't make it so.

This is going to suck out loud. You know it ... everyone knows it.

Best case scenario: They don't have John Popper from Blues Traveler put on a fake mustache to portray Thurman Munson.

Worst case scenario: The clueless fuckers have a cameo appearance by Don Mattingly -- because the 30-and-unders will identify with him despite massive historical inaccuracy.

It will have Bucky Dent be the subject of "ironic" home run jokes, foreshadowing '78.

The Reggie Jackson-Billy Martin brawl morphs from a brief dugout scuffle to a UFC-inspired 15-minute throwdown reminiscent of a fight scene from 300. Complete with annoying-as-fuck screamcore soundtrack.

It will have Stu Scott -- in a stab at being "serious" -- play Yankees broadcaster Bill White.

Somehow Chris Berman's Studio 54 reject ass will make a cameo too. In the ultimate insult, maybe he'll play a sportswriter. Hell, maybe he'll play you Spnited. He'll appear for only one reason ... to fit in obligatory Berman face time and a Grade-Z joke (probably working in a wacky Tampa Bay Bucs reference).

It will have Catfish Hunter and/or Ron Guidry throw out southern witticisms and one-liners to lend perspective, a la Jeff Healey from Roadhouse or Waylon Jennings from Dukes Of Hazzard.

And just before the end credits roll, a disco-fied mother with a newborn says, "See son. That's how you play the game." And when she puts the baby on her shoulder, the infant Yankee onesie has "Jeter" and "2" on his back.

Fade to credits with Jeter's (over-fucking-rated) catch against Boston tying the 70s Yankees to the current ones.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, Bubbs.. but that attempt at humor is an example of total stupidity I was referring to.

9. dooley_womack1

Popper's a lot lighter nowadays, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh bullshit Spnited. You engage in much of the same shit you're pointing the finger at us over.

I like you too, but this indignation is misplaced.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, thank god that ESPN will actually be devoting some programming time to the New York Yankees.

::) ::)

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

No Starman, ESPN is devoting some time to a very well-written book. Hopefully it won't be totally fucked up, but I fear in typical ESPN style it will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted