1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN presents The Bronx is Burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just saw the preview for this eight-week miniseries. Maybe I need to go to bed, but did I really see Oliver Platt as George Steinbrenner?

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm interested in seeing how they do this. The book is phenomenal, it tells you everything you need to know about New York in 1977: the crime, the fear, the heat, the blackout, the rioting, disco, gay culture, Rupert Murdoch's arrival, Ed Koch, and, of course, Reggie, Billy, Thurman and the Boss.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I haven't read the book, but if this is true, why is ESPN doing it? And will they gloss over everything else to cook up the sports angle?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Why is ESPN doing it? It's a good summer filler until the NFL/College Football starts in earnest.

And yes, that's Oliver Platt as The Boss. John Turturro is Billy Martin.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I liked this miniseries ... when it was called Summer of Sam.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know, I always meant to see that, but never did. How good was/is it?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

As one who lived the summer of '77 and covered Reggie's Game 6 tour de force, I thought the book was sensational.
    I will not miss a single minute of this mini-series just to see if ESPN manages to do the book and the reality a shred of justice.

And, yes, I can buy Platt as Steinbrener and Turturro as Billy the drunken piece of shit scumbag.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's 1977, Spnited. Not 1877. :D :D :D <----------piece of shit dickhead!!!!!

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So simple, yet, so effective.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, there was some good rounders action in New Amsterdam in 1877. Anyhoo, that looks so unlike Reggie Jackson, the commercial made me laugh

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bubs and GB:

I loved Summer of Sam (screenplay, by the way, by Michael Imperioli, aka Christopher Moltisanti).
    But there are vast differences in approach to the summer of 1977 between Summer of Sam and The Bronx is Burning.
    Both (as least as far the The Bronx is Burning book goes) are wonderful in their own way.
    I just hope ESPN doesn't fuck this up.

Footnote: BYH has gone beyond his normal dickhead status into total dickhead troll useless piece of shit realm.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why do you have to drag Pube into this?

Draft saved Draft deleted