1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Plagiarizes ProFootballTalk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HHDougB, Nov 6, 2009.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

[quote author=ProFootballTalk]We've experienced over the years the phenomenon of news organizations borrowing our stories without attribution.

Typically, what happens is that someone in the journalism business will use one of our stories as a starting point for their own "reporting." So then they'll get someone, either on or off the record, to "confirm" the same thing we've already reported, and then they'll report the item without acknowledging where they first saw it.[/quote]

Wah. Happens all the time. Lead with the plagiarism and skip the self-important whine.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's flagrant on ESPN's part, yes, but PFT is getting territorial over something they wrote off a TV interview. They repackaged it more ethically than someone else.

3. VJ

VJ Member

Good thing ESPN.com didn't plagiarize PFT when they reported Roy Williams had a broken collarbone.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If I were to say that 95 percent of PFT is simply posting links to other people's stories, and that the other 5 percent was spent throwing shit on the wall to see if it'll stick? Pretty close?

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Terry Bradshaw is dead

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

bingo. and he thinks he is the moral thermometer of journalism.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

In terms of staying on top of the NFL -- however indirectly -- PFT does a good job, if only in culling together relevant links.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When players are talking about a site in the locker room, it's time to throw your hands up and give the devil his due. But you don't have to pretend it's good or that it's honest journalism. It's junk food for NFL junkies.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think I got it:
    He's pissed because someone "reported" what he "reported" what was reported on television (then tweeted).

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a specimen who's already had to apologize this season to Keyshawn Johnson (something that never happens), reporting that Johnson called Joe Flacco a "bum." Then there was the hilarity when Terry Bradshaw was reported dead, probably the low point of the site. At least Drudge is right half the time.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you truly feel that way, you're a fool...

PFT is exactly what it claims to be, a NFL rumor site.

Every single decent NFL beat writer checks that site a few times a day. Countless regular papers credit the site for breaking news on a regular basis. They post tons of rumors, most of which are just that... ESPN, SI and Sportsline do the exact same thing.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Listen, I get that it's a good site to catch up on news around the league from various links that they post. I get that.

But these stupid rumors make that site a joke to me.

I know I've used this example before, but I always think back to his "breaking news" post that Andy Reid was holding Vick out of the second preseason game so he could unveil him to the home crowd a week later. Um...oops. Vick wasn't ALLOWED to play in the second preseason game, Florio. Ever since then, I take what I read on there with a grain of salt.

What breaking news has PFT actually been first with?

Draft saved Draft deleted