1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN piece on the death of Jason Rabedeaux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It is in southern Vietnam!

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ole Busan had a hell of a team this year!

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wright has earned the right to be at the level where he can choose what he wants to write about and is in the extremely rarefied air where he can tell his editors he wants to write about cricket or a coach nobody remembers and he wants to go to Asia to do it. You have to be insanely talented to be able to justify that, and fortunately for Wright, that's not going to be a problem for him.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I suppose it's not so dissimilar from what Bourdain does with food, which makes me think they'd reach a larger audience, and have a better shot at monetizing his work, if they gave him a TV show.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know the cricket piece comes up often as some kind of vanity project, but I'll just mention this again: It's one of the most heavily-trafficked pieces is the history of ESPN.com. It justified itself.

pantazi likes this.
  6. RecoveringJournalist

He pulls it off. He's fucking brilliant.

Personally, the stories of his that I like the best are when he get a shot at a subject that everyone has written about and just crushes it. The Jordan piece jumps immediately to mind.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I wonder if that was in part because it drew people to ESPN.com who wouldn't normally go there. If that was the strategy, to draw in readers from India it was a brilliant one.

8. 93Devil

I don't think anyone here is taking shots at him.

He just had a run of southern-based stories. It's not the end of the world, and global writing is something that should be encouraged at ESPN. Lord knows Sportscenter only focuses on 25% of the teams in each league.

9. YankeeFan

LOL.

The idea that he focuses only on the South, or even to some large extent on stories based in the South, has already been debunked, with detail, here previously.

10. 93Devil

Not what I typed.

11. YankeeFan

Show me his "run" of Southern-based stories.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's as much his way of writing as anything, and the fact that those have been among his most famous stories, alongside pieces like the Jordan one. And I'm not complaining at all - one of the "Southern" pieces was the one about going to the Masters after his father died, and that piece just crushed me. He's brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted