1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Philly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, Leon Carter is editing NY. They just pulled a top-ranking editor from another Web site to work in NY. Another editor I know is headed to Bristol.
    To answer your other question, I'm not sure if it's all running out of Bristol right now. I suspect ESPN could afford some decent office space.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

To clarify, I meant editing as in nuts-and-bolts line editing, proofreading and posting stories online with photos and polls and all the rest. I can't imagine Leon Carter and other top-ranking people would deal with all that.

I believe the web production is currently being done in Bristol. What I don't know is whether people are being hired specifically for the city sites, or the existing staff is being repurposed.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I imagine it is a little of both - I know people being hired for city-specific sites but I don't know if they make up the entirety of the "nuts and bolts" staff. My guess is that's the eventual plan. ESPN is hiring.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any truth to the rumor that the web address for the Philly site will be espnthefuckyoulookinat.com?

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Just saw that Rob Parker has been added to ESPNNY.

Not sure what they're paying editors, but the money being offered writers and columnists is really, really low for big cities on the east coast.
    Then again, Schilling and Nomar do need to be paid. ::)

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There was some discussion on the ESPN Los Angeles thread regarding what the possible compensation was for the journalists, based on the fact that ESPNLA isn't really chock full of major names.

So they're not exactly opening the checkbook. Maybe ESPN is like every other media company after all.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Except for the part where they're actually hiring. :)

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Five: Chicago, Boston, New York, Dallas, Los Angeles.

Editors are being hired in the specific cities, not based in Bristol. My understanding is that writers and editors that are hired have to already be based in those cities.

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

New York, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Boston in a year is slow!? By the end of the year they will be in top 10 markets.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I meant in terms of the fact the numbers have exceeded their expectations -- by a lot -- why not just open the floodgates now because it seems they know they will be successful wherever they go. But, yes, I bet they'll be in the top 10 markets by the end of the year, with Philly and D.C. likely next.

11. And thank god for that. Another year with bonuses and merit raises in Bristol. A 20+ years tradition continues. Robust resources and continued headcount growth, even during tough economic times. I'll take a 24-pack of that ESPN Toilet Paper, the job security, the innovative environment across multiple platforms from TV to Digital Media and Mobile and ITV widgets -- along with the effort we all make, regardless of industry, to balance our values with those of our corporate parents. I'll even take a solution-oriented approach to the problems I see at my company, and not just complain about the issues.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm interested to see how they approach markets like Phoenix and Atlanta, which may not have much sex appeal nationally but are huge markets to hit.

Then there's Detroit, where no one can afford anything but everyone loves sports.

Finally, it will be very interesting to see how long they take to reach Oklahoma City and Nashville/Memphis, places that wouldn't really have any overlap with other locations but would also be considered very small. I imagine in 10 years we'll be talking about ESPN Little Rock and ESPN Des Moines, but who knows?

Can this model support itself in the smaller metropolitan areas?

Draft saved Draft deleted