1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Philly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Apr 3, 2010.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

Anyone know when this goes on line. I did a search and didn't see anything. I know that it is the next one to go, just wondered when.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'll be impressed when they open ESPNTimbuktu.com, ESPNSiberia.com and ESPNBumfuck.com.

It's all a matter of time.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't hold me to this but as I understand it, the one for New York is supposed to have something to do with the Philly and Baltimore-Washington markets. I don't know any particulars other than that. It would be good if it open a separate Philly and Balt-Washington ESPN.com.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN hasn't officially announced any other sites beyond those that have been launched. But the theory is that Philly and Washington/Baltimore will be next because I believe Leon Carter will be overseeing them as well.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All kinds of rumors flying around the D.C. scene but no one seems to know anything. Well, let me rephrase. I'm sure someone knows a lot - but they've kept it under wraps pretty well. I know a couple of "names" up that way have been approached but no firm deals have leaked out - yet.

They could snap up the remainder of the Times' staff and be off to a great start but my guess is they'll go after a bunch of current people at the Post. The idea is to weaken the competition while gaining a foothold in the area and, sadly, the Times' top-notch sport section is already gone.

6. MileHigh

I wonder why now there's such a a slow rollout. Read the GQ story and the expectations for numbers weren't that huge. But they have really exceeded expectations and the plan is to be aggressive. So why the slow rollout? Why not just go into the major cities now because it's clearly working.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think money may have something to do with it Mile High. Also, there is a thing about over saturation and ESPN is definitely close to doing that.

8. MileHigh

Maybe, but ESPN is a cash cow. And if they're going into the major cities eventually, just do it already.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pretty secretive group Mile High. Maybe its not a go for the kill type of outfit.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised they're not in Philly yet.

How many cities have launched already?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oversaturation? If Bristol thought ESPN the Toilet Paper and ESPN the Oxygen would sell, it would be on the market. No qualms about hegemony there.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Who is editing these city-specific sites and where? There's supposedly still a hiring freeze on at ESPN HQ in Bristol -- and I <i>think</i> all the regional sites are being proofed and produced out of there.

Draft saved Draft deleted