1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN paid millions for this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That pretty much sums up how I feel.

I remember right before my freshman year in high school I read Reilly's brilliant feature on Bryant Gumbel, who was in charge of NBC's coverage of the Seoul Olympics. I thought it was one of the most amazing features I'd ever read.

As soon as school started, I tried to sign up for the student paper. When they told me you had to be a junior, I pestered the teacher until he agreed to let me join for second semester.

I think back on some of Reilly's features like the one on Elway, Marge Schott, McGwire and what it meant to pick up that week's issue of SI and see that Reilly had the cover story and how it was almost a given that it was going to be brilliant.

Without getting into too much detail, I know Reilly very well. Not only is he not the same writer he was even five years ago, he's not even close to being the same person either. A lot of people on here will know what I'm talking about.

Without being too melodramatic, it's kind of painful to watch.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Now I'm curious. Has his fame and success gone to his head? Or does he have some personal problems that have impacted his work? Or does he just not care and take his talent for granted?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes, yes and yes.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They should make him write long pieces on golf, that might get his juices flowing again.

Draft saved Draft deleted