1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN paid millions for this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 15, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll say this about Reilly's Mag columns, he's half as disappointing as he was at SI.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Good for them. That doesn't mean it's good.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Do you write for writers or readers?

I keep forgetting.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're paying someone $3 million a year to be a columnist, I don't think it's too much to expect him to do something other than a story that has already been done by another national columnist.

Reilly lives in Denver, yet Freeman, who I believe lives in South Florida, knew about this story before Reilly did or at least wrote it 10 days before he did.

Reilly doesn't have the excuse of working at a weekly magazine anymore.

Is it a bad column? No... But if I'm ESPN and the story that your highest-paid write turns in already ran on Sportsline 10 days ago, I'd be pretty pissed.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Tha's because none of them read the other stories from two weeks ago. Reilly brought nothing new with his story - no new angle, no new thoughts that the other stories didn't already right about.
    He could have compared this injury to Ronnie Lott's; he could have talked about the kid's NFL, AFL or CFL chances; he could have actually used colorful writing.
    Instead, he re-wrote other stories and made it look like it was his.
    Reilly is a disgrace.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

After this disaster, it's a wonder if he'll ever decide to right again.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

"Loves football like wolves love pork chops?"

Shut the fuck up, Rick.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nope.

Reilly was once a supremely talented writer and reporter, who used his enviable skills with the language in the service of quality stories he himself reported.

Simmons is a fanboy columnist who is only now expanding his schtick (ever so slightly) to include picking up the phone.

Two nice writers. Reilly has fallen to the point where a comparison to Simmons is fair. Both are enjoyed by their fans. Neither is a role model for someone who wishes to treat journalism seriously as a career.

And this:

Oh, he will. Their our many people who like two start they're day with his column.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This just proves you are a moran! See the post above mine.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Missed that.

Well, that's what I get for being an a-hole.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ouch. Took me two or three reads to get that.

Nice pull, Bull.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Don't worry about it.

But perhaps you missed the text beneath my avatar, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted