1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN paid millions for this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 15, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Why this column? Why is this one bothering you guys so much?
    He's been doing this column for a decade. It's formulaic. It's him. Some work, many don't.
    But, for general consumption -- and for Reilly readers -- it's a tried and true hit.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Among many columnists, there is a sense that until they've written a story, it hasn't been written. And a lot of board favorites have been guilty of this at some point.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Freeman wrote the same story 10 days ago.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Hey yo!

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I've stopped reading him, but he can't be any worse than what Patrick is giving SI.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a story about this guy in USA Today on Wednesday. He said the doctors were reluctant at first, then relented in part because he was going to have problems with it later in life. I doubt they'd have done the same, or been as willing, if it was an entire arm or a leg.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Chris Ballard's version for SI was better...much better

Bullwinkle, was Reilly's version better than this one ...
    http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/04/johnson-taking-one-for-the-team-means-losing-a/

or this one....
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-forsakenfinger&prov=ap&type=lgns

or this...
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/03/mesa-state-lineman-has-finger-amputated-so-he-can-/

Thos stories came out a few days after it happened, not two weeks.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I enjoyed Reilly's column more than the three you linked.

I hear what you are saying, and to some extent, I'm not disagreeing. But ever since Reilly joined ESPN, this thing has gotten to absurd levels, with people trying to find anything they can to bash him about.

Was the column late? Yes. Was it bad? Absolutely not. The stuff SportsJournalists.com hates, ESPN's readers love. There are millions of sports fans out there who only click on ESPN for their info. You might hate it, you might think people who click on ESPN have rocks for brains, but it's reality.

Can we just merge this with the Simmons hate threads?

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

always loved reilly. always hated the espn written stuff. did not follow him to espn

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Word. Anybody can do what Patrick does for ESPN. Anybody.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I read both and enjoyed both.

I've seen Reilly's column linked at about five different sports message boards today. There's probably about 100 messages in all, give or take. NONE of them had a negative word to say about the column.

In fact, they loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted