1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN paid millions for this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm done with Reilly. He is very bad at what he does. He has zero reporting skills anymore. He did a shitty rewrite of the Lineman who amputated his finger story, got a couple bad quotes, then threw a couple horrible Reilly-isms and submitted this POS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3642825

If he spent more than 30 minutes - that's reading originial story, calling AD, getting quotes, then writing "his" version - I'd be shocked.

Vent over.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A big name columnist mailing it in? I am shocked...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess if I jam my already crooked pinky again, the hacksaw is coming out. I don't use that pinky when I'm typing anyway anymore. I guess I just learned not to use it.

But I look silly at work with my left pinky sticking up in the air as if I'm drinking tea.

4. azom

azom Member

The first thing I noticed was the photo credit.... going to "Buddy Bear." Sweet.

5. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Reilly hasn't been himself since going to ESPN. I still don't think he's jumped the shark - he's done a couple good pieces there (the one on his dad, the one about the sinking ship). But still, I got into this business because of him. I'm not giving up on him yet.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I hope you find new idols, bake1234.

Reilly hasn't been "himself" in years. He was once a journalist, not just a dude who writes pretty words.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reilly is Bobby Bonilla or Danny Tartabull in New York.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I just read that column and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I bet Reilly's readers will, too.

9. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Well put.

I bought a few of his books but I haven't read "new" Reilly. I liked his hate mail book but everything since he joined ESPN has been disappointing. I don't know if it's because I expect too much or if he has gotten worse. My bet is a little of both.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That shark was jumped long before he went to ESPN.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Can only hope that, inside the walls of Bristol, there are lots of people wondering either aloud or in morale-eroding inner voices: "This place paid what?! for that?!"

12. So let's get this straight, this D-II doofus is a hero for getting some equally doofus doctor to go along with his idea of slicing off a healthy, albeit injured, limb (are fingers limbs? appendages?) So much for the Hippocratic Oath.
    Sounds to me like this kid is the kind of blockhead who would ram his head through plywood and eat light bulbs for breakfast. If Riley didn't do the reporting here, shame on him. I could have pulled better out of the kid than the stuff he used.

Draft saved Draft deleted