1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN overkill on veterans stuff?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm more bothered by the way it seems so forced and contrived, even if the sentiment is a good one. It seems more like the network is doing it to showoff than be genuine. At least that's how the presentation of it all is unfolding for me.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They must have used Joe Biden as a consultant.

3. You must play with cheap balls. :)

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, we can't fully appreciate anything, especially patriotism, until we have the gym-teacher perspective on it. The service done by our armed forces could not be adequately understood unless famous jocks were included in the coverage. And of course sportscasters bring unique insights that we couldn't get from reporters who cover the military, well, every day.

It's taboo in some sports departments to refer to football games as battles and warfare because use in that context demeans true warfare where the stakes are higher than a groin pull. Insinuating athletics into coverage of warfare seems equally disrespectful to those who are actually engaged in it.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The stuff from the Ryders Cup on Kiawah Island coming after the Persian Gulf War made gag. "War on the Shore?"

I still laugh whenever I hear about a golfer making a courageous golf shot.
    I don't think a top Tour player can make a courageous shot because it's not like if they put one in the drink they'll lose half their net worth.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

As others have said, whatever their motives may be, it's focusing attention on the people who are over there fighting and putting their lives on the line. Iraq and Afghanistan have been simplified to "good" or "bad" in most discussions these days, and it's easy to forget for a lot of people that half a world away, there are people -- real people -- waking up and fighting. Regardless of the politics, regardless of ESPN or any other network's motives, these displays can be a helpful reminder of what we're in the middle of.

A lot of people don't need that reminder. A lot of people do.

Besides, ESPN has run some damn good stories this week. I never knew Tim James, formerly of the Miami Heat, was an enlisted man in Iraq. So even if ESPN is doing it to pat themselves on the back, they're coming up with some fresh material too.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Food Network should be doing this, too. Have Emeril in camouflage yelling "BAM!" Bobby Flay could do his Throwdown against mess-hall cooks.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next ESPN should do "Muslim Week". It would do wonders for the image of Muslims in the United States. Boomer could break out his Swami hat and Linda Cohen could wear a burka.

Draft saved Draft deleted