1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN overkill on veterans stuff?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Nov 11, 2009.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Yeah, but I will say she looks fantastic at 47. I don't want to say "for 47," because she looks a lot better than women half her age.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

At this time, in this place, I don't know if it's possible to do too much veterans' stuff.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

David Whitley's excellent Veterans Day column:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/lets-pause-to-celebrate-a-man-of-action/

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I have no problem what-so-ever with giving veterans and servicemen and women all the attention they deserve and more. I just think the way it is happening... Wal-Mart sponsored "shout-outs", etc. etc. is too much. Maybe it's the perceived monetary thing,... "Tom Brady will say thanks to veterans, sponsored by Wal-Mart.." I don't know.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have no problem, as long as ESPN doesn't do a 'Will Brett Favre join the military when he retires or not?" story or take something by Ernie Pyle and try to claim it as their own.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

More News and Les Nessman.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hannah Storm is 47? Wow.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ESPN is the reigning King of Overkill. Subtle is not in the ESPN stylebook.

Unfortunately.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I could see three days ... but a week? That's more like ESPN pounding itself on the back in self-congratulations screaming at the top of its lungs, "LOOK AT US! WE LOVE VETERANS! SEE? WE LOVE OUR TROOPS! NOBODY LOVES OUR VETERANS AND OUR TROOPS MORE THAN ESPN, BITCHES!"

It's so over-the-top it approaches insincerity.

10. I agree it's over the top.

I think the best way of honoring veterans is not to deify them, but elect leaders who will provide them with adequate compensation and benefits and make it less likely that they are sent off to die in whatever war we wish to create at the moment. We're at least off to a good start on that front.

I appreciate veterans, but I also appreciate doctors, nurses, teachers, cab drivers and other people who do tough jobs I'd rather not do or am incapable of doing.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Absolutely perfect. Wish I could have put it that succintly.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Gotta be a Red Sox v. Yankees angle too ... can't forget that!

Draft saved Draft deleted