1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN OTL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Writer33 doesn't get it. Maybe a little bit more since the thread started, but not by much.

If you think ESPN should decide whether or not to air video based on whether doing so might expose an NCAA violation, you're in the wrong business.

The video is newsworthy because it is an NCAA violation.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

So is having recruits sit courtside, 15 feet from the media, a violation?
    Is that why some universities give reporters shit for going up into the stands to talk to recruits at the game?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yes. Practices, too. Anytime a reporter approaches a kid visiting a campus, it's a violation, regardless of whether or not it was an interview arranged by the school or not.

...Which always makes it fun to do - how far you can get in talking to the kid before someone comes to talk to you. That's why you've got to get the phone number first.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

That rule is, w/out question, one of the most ridiculous rules ever penned by the suits in Indy.

Recruits attend games in the fall, bowl practices on campus, practices in the spring, spring games, etc.

Media members are present at each of those events because we're covering the team.

Thus, they are all violations despite the fact the coaches are having contact with recruits during contact periods, out in the open.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The spirit of the rule is that the institution isn't to be complicit in any media interview with a recruit, especially while recruit is on campus for a visit. If you're a writer and you go to talk to a recruit making a visit on the sidelines before a game and get in a question before they haul you away, no violation has taken place.

What they don't want is coach saying "Hey, writer, this is Billy Fullback from Eastside. Thought you might want to talk to him about the possibility of him playing for Generic U. next fall."

6. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

This is funny because I had an argument with one of my best friends in the business after watching this yesterday morning. Lane was stupid for not knowing the rules. ESPN was right for busting his ass on this.

But ESPN also did something that could be seen as self-serving and committed a major violation of one of the Top 5 rules in Journalism: You should never become a subject of the story you are reporting. ESPN obviously realized it was a violation before airing the piece because they contacted the NCAA. It sounds as though the NCAA informed the WWL that once it aired they would know for sure whether it was a violation or not. Someone should have edited that part out. This reminds me of a situation years ago with John Mackovic when he was at Arizona. He let ESPN in during his first season and during one point showed on camera the voluntary summer workout habits of his players. That was information Mac wasn't supposed to even have, per NCAA rules. ESPN told him that was a violation on the air and he had the stupidest look on his face.

At any rate, ESPN should not become part of any story it reports.

At the same time, Lane is dumb and way in over his head at Tennessee. We all know this will end badly and with that program embarrassed before long.

7. dsg155

dsg155 Member

What are the odds that Kiffin lasts through December at UT? I'm guessing they aren't good.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A cynic would suggest that the whole point of ESPN's trip to Knoxville was to get Kiffin to commit a recruiting violation on tape. Not sure how I feel about that.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Almost 100%, IMO.

You think a few piddling secondary violations are going to get the AD to fire a football coach at an SEC school less than a year after he hired him? A football coach, it should be noted, who pulled in a top-10 recruiting class in less than a half a recruiting season? A football coach who brought in arguably the most respected defensive mind anywhere in football right now?

Certainly, if he commits a major violation or his team goes 2-10 against a mediocre schedule, the natives could get restless. But holy crap, they gave Fulmer 10 years without a single SEC title, losing to rivals left and right, flopping in bowl games, eventually having two sub-.500 years. Barring a boatload of losses, Kiffin will be UT's coach long past December.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fulmer also won a national title. That buys you some time.

Also, the leash is a lot shorter now than it was when Fulmer started at UT in the early 90s. He probably would never had the chance to win that NC if he was hired now.

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'm OK with saying it's shorter. But 9 1/2 years shorter?

I'm certainly not saying Kiffin's gonna get 10 years. Past December, though? Again, unless he gets nailed for a major violation or his team completely bombs, he's safe for that long.

12. spud

spud Member

I believe Athlon unceremoniously dubbed him 'Boy Smirk' in their preview mag.

Draft saved Draft deleted