1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN OTL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Did anyone else have a problem with OTL's story on Lane Kiffin this morning? They used video of a couple of recruits talking with Kiffin in the UT media center. Bob Ley said it was likely an NCAA violation to show him with recruits and cited the rule number. Also said they are awaiting word from the NCAA about it. However, if they don't air the video, it's not a violation. So, why did ESPN decide to go with it if they knew it could potentially get UT in trouble?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Why should ESPN give a shit whether or not what it does gets Tennessee in trouble?

3. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I guess my point, right or wrong, is if they don't air it, there isn't a problem. They in effect created the violation by running it.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I'm confused...

Is it a violation that it was on TV? Or is it a violation that he was talking to recruits where he was.

One, I'll admit, is kind of a dilemma for ESPN. Unless Kiffin invited it. Then, it's Tennessee's problem again.

But if it's a violation to be talking where he was, then it's not ESPN's problem at all.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Do you know that it's not a violation if it's not aired? But I agree that it's not ESPN's problem.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not ESPN's job to know the NCAA rule book, it's Kiffin's. If he didn't realize it was a violation to allow cameras in on a recruit meeting, that's on Kiffin. I'd think it's a violation whether ESPN airs it or not.

I'm surprised Kiffin hasn't earned a nickname yet. He's proven to be a four-tool violator with violations via Twitter, radio, tv and in person. C'mon Lane, no love for print?

7. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I guess I misunderstood what Bob Ley was saying. The rule violation was not ESPN airing the video. It was that Kiffin allowed media to be present while talking to recruits. It apparently is considered a secondary violation. I would very much like for this thread to go away.

8. A violation was committed whether ESPN aired the segment or not.

NCAA bylaw 13.10.1
    Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact.
    A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution’s coaching staff member. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1. (Adopted: 1/9/96, Revised: 1/14/97).

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Probably one of the most frequently-broken rules too, I may add.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this isn't a violation because it clearly is, but what is and is not a violation in terms of the NCAA?

I've seen college students have to give back free pizzas they won in half-court shooting contests at their high school because they can't accept anything. Now that's fucking ridiculous.

Where is the line?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I guess the NCAA offices are closed during the summer, because some of the stuff going on with AAU basketball teams is ridiculous.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They must not have the Vols on their fall broadcast schedule

Draft saved Draft deleted