1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN ombudsman takes on MNF, trash talk, Spygate II

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I really wish they would listen to her more. Another great one by Le Anne Schreiber.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3240223

2. Do they really ever listen to her? She makes great points in these columns.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This wasn't her best . . . which should indicate just how good she's been.

They won't listen. That would spoil their cross-promoting, frat-house fantasy.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Still, damn, can she write - I just hope she isn't paid by the word, or ESPN will have to cut Scott Van Pelt...

5. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Van Pelt is good on everything except highlights. When he does highlights he gets nauseating.....then again they all do. They really sound like the most uncool people on the planet trying to be cool and hip when they do highlights. Especially Linda Cohn, she just sounds really uncomfortable when she tries to make a joke.

Anyway bad to the ombudsman. She's really smart and makes great points. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems her points fall on deaf ears.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

How many companies or outlets actually listen to ombudsmen?

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I agree with that sentiment Damaramu, that's why those who ARE good at highlights — Dan Patrick, Olbermann, etc. — are so good. It's hard not to sound like a doofus when you're Twelve Toes Cohn though...

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

her MNF critique is squishy

who actually listens to the announcers anyway...

hit the 'mute' button and enjoy

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree, not her strongest work, but that's hardly an indictment. I was puzzled to be reading an MNF critique in mid-February. If she was getting so many comments from readers, why not write this during the season?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This stood out...

"I also wonder if the escalation of on-air and online insult played a role in anchor Dana Jacobson's serious miscalculation about the bounds of off-air insult. Most of you who wrote me about reports of Jacobson's off-air comments at the roast in Atlantic City for ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike have already received a reply detailing what I know and think about that incident. Anyone interested can read that reply."

It sounds like ESPN sort of censored her on that topic...

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

To me, it felt like an end-of-season report card, which is why it got held until now.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right, GB-Hack. But this was a six-weeks-late report card (and yes, I know her column is roughly once-a-month). If someone published an MNF critique in a newspaper this week, readers would wonder "WTF?"

Draft saved Draft deleted