1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Ombudsman: SportsCenter has changed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 18, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I used to be the same way, watching at 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. every day, and sometimes I'd watch more than that. Nowadays, I'll flip it on at the beginning perhaps or check back every so often for a specific highlight I want to see, but rarely watch a whole show. I'm much more likely to watch the Simpsons/Family Guy block at 6 and Daily Show/Colbert report at 11.

I think it really started a couple of years ago when they introduced the Budweiser Hot Seat, the Coors Light Cold Hard Facts (which are rarely facts, but often opinions) and other such sponsorships. Add in my complete disdain for the bickering between Sean Salisbury and John Clayton and started tuning out more often.

Then they began spending 10 minutes per episode on "Who's Now?" last summer and that was the final straw. There was just so much stuff on the show that I didn't care about (or flat-out despised), the time spent watching SportsCenter during a one-hour block was far outweighed by flipping the channels mindlessly looking for boobs, cartoons or boobs.

Now, ESPN is usually only on my TV for PTI or games, but I admit, I have noticed fewer "analysts" except in certain cases (Bonds stuff, Vick stuff, Clemens stuff). The baseball analysts are still good (Olney, Gammons, TJ Quinn all do a fine job) and don't seem to fall for a lot of the schlock and obviousness you see from their NFL "analysts."

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

for me, baseball tonight is about the only thing i can stomach at one sitting. I'll watch SC for about 10 minutes and I'm on to something else.

3. hankschu

hankschu Member

Um, have you read her columns? The only backslapping she does is with a well-sharpened and perfectly aimed knife.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, I haven't. I thought I made that clear. My skepticism got the best of me and I assumed their ombudsman would be worth a damn.

Looks like I was wrong and I apologize.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Go read this column. At least part of it. She hates 90 percent of what ESPN puts on the air, I think.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

What has been bad is those random, blow job sequences ESPN does sometimes before Knight appears showcasing how great he has been on the show, particularly when most of them have been pretty unspectacular.

One thing I don't ever expect the ombud to do is criticize the length of Simmons' columns. My god, I don't care how good it is, I can never get through the whole thing. Maybe do it twice a month instead of once, or even run it in two parts.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You pretty much knew ESPN would trumpet the fact it has Knight in studio. He hasn't been a train wreck, even though I swear he's reading his notes from a prompter.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Knight is deliberately trying to make news by saying provocative things.

And the greatest highlight was a train wreck.

9. SportsCenter is my default on the remote, also, when nothing else is on. That said, I can't wait for the endless Red Sox-Yankee promos come baseball season.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

I can't wait to see Le Anne work her magic on Knight, on the utter impropriety of ESPN's choice to go steady with the screamer...

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'd be very surprised if she goes hard on him at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted