1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Ombudsman on Mike Leach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Much stronger effort than his last. He actually takes the WWL to task a bit for fudging Craig James' role in the controversy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=ohlmeyer_don&id=4844048

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, as long as it didn't involve OJ, I say call yourself out!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am interested in the issue but could not read that whole tome.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And yet now that Craig James' behavior well before the concussion incident is a central subject of the lawsuit, ESPN lets him get away with the "I'm not here to talk about the past" B.S. They could compel him, as an employee, to answer the questions about whether he called Leach and the assistants all season and told them Adam was the best receiver on the team. But they won't because they have no balls.

So that's how much the ombudsman column means. In case anyone didn't already know.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Y'know . . . the WWL could function quite well without Craig James.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He's trying to position himself as the uberconservative in the Texas Senate race. He probably believes Leach is a liberal.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My bet is that Craig James will slowly fade away from Bristol.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

ESPN can't necessarily compel him to do this as an employee. But Mike Leach's lawyer can.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Moving to journalism topics. I too thought it was a better effort than previous from Ohlmeyer.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Very critical eye and not serving as a yes man or blind defender of all things four-letters.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting note also at the end on GMAC bowl. It was a joke the way game was broadcast. I am not surprised that ESPN got complaints.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

You know, I wish somebody would really dig back into the SMU football scandals of the 1980s and see just how much Craig James, as well as his Pony Express teammate Eric Dickerson, were likely sliming their way through NCAA violations.

The SMU crap didn't really hit the fan until 1985-86, after those guys had left. I can assure you that as much as SMU got penalized, the likes of James and Dickerson got off pretty much scot-free. They had skated away 2-3 years earlier before things got really bad.

I just don't think James has ever been fully scrutinized and held personally accountable, and it would be interesting to see what the likes of TMZ could dig up---James et al got away before the posse caught up with the Ponies. Then-AD Bob Hitch and Gov. (and SMU board member) Clements were among the main evildoers, but there were a number of SMU players blatantly flaunting their ill-gotten gains, and I"d be interested to see how deep James's hand was into the till.

What do you say, Craig? Let's hear you come clean, and I don't mean Mark McGwire "clean."

Draft saved Draft deleted