1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Ombudsman clears the air

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 14, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Vince Doria is a whore.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ya think?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't know if we have enough bandwidth to discuss this:

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Frankly, this is journalism as it should be.
    ESPN deserves applause.
    Predictably, it gets none. It gets "meh."

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

21, are you saying you don't buy Doria's reasoning? A lot of what he says makes sense.

When I was 22, I wrote a whole column about how a New York Times writer called me at my small paper to try to work on some story about some unethical behavior by sports team executives involving some guy who was trying to start a "fan union." And how they were going to smear him to get him to stop what he was doing. And when we didn't get anything to support those allegations, I wrote a column about the whole thing. The headline was, I'll never forget this, "We don't have a story." Named all the names and everything.

I think that was pretty damned unethical, even though every word was true. So I understand Doria's thinking in this case: Do you really run the "I don't beat my wife" denials in order to report a story you yourself can't get in the first place?

(As an aside, by the way, the NYT reporter at the time: Tony Kornheiser. :) )

7. Giggity

Giggity Member

Well CLEARLY it would be more scintillating if T.O. was discussing it instead of Le Anne Schreiber.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm extremely happy to report on the Hitler front that I apparently was NOT the one who provided the incorrect context cited in her column, although my original post did reference the Michigan program. But I got the quote right:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/62518/

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I was referring to her column. Was disappointing this month. Lacked its usual punch overall.

Draft saved Draft deleted