1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Ombud: Who's Now Wasn't Well Liked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's a helluva difference in giving people a poll to click on and turning it into a TV program. I guarantee there were not 5 million people engrossed in the TV portion of it.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The worst part about this piece was the obvious disconnect between the SportsCenter producer and his core audience.
    The SportsCenter audience is of passionate American sports fans. So passionate that, honestly, I don't fit into that category any longer for most of the year. I do not follow MLB and NBA closely enough to fit their core group, and those sports compose the majority of highlights at given times, which is why my SC watching is cut mostly to NFL Sundays/Mondays and occasionally a big college basketball night.
    And this producer is trying to tell us the SC audience cares about Tom Brady and Giselle whats-her-name. I just don't believe that. I mean, I don't think any of them mind seeing a picture of them together, but I don't think they really care. Anyone disagree with me on that?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

"Two words for you: Pizza delivery"

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Amazing how often first impressions are dead-on . . .

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You are our hero for the day.
    What a find!

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

With her suggestion at the end, I'm 100 percent behind it since I don't have ESPNews on my cable. All I want is sportscenter as it used to be. Highlights, analysis, and a little snark. The end.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Glenn Jacobs looks nothing like the monster he has portrayed for the last several years on WWE programming as Kane.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow. The voice of sanity.

Of course, this was done about 1980 or so, on CNN Sports Tonight, with Fred Hickman and the white guy with curly dark hair whose name escapes me right now.

They put out a quality product even during the 1981 baseball strike.

No schtick, no boo-yeah, just news and highlights. What a concept.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Nick Charles.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that guy. Never missed that show.

THese days, SportsCenter is practically unwatchable, even if I'm trapped on the eliptical trainer. When that "Now" BS came on we automatically turned the channel.

Of course this morning's 15-minute interview with Pacman Jones on "First and 10" was skippable, too, it lasted for about 3,000 steps and I quit watching after 100.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Jim Huber did some great feature pieces, so well-written, for that show.
    How many of SportsCenter's segments could be classified as "well-written" these days?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. ESPNEWS comes very close to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted