1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN ombud tees off ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, the Stuey Scott/"journalist" reference was restating the obvious.

He's still aces on Stump the Schwab, though.

2. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

ESPN, for the most part, is peopled with personalities, with entertainers.

Those are not the same as reporters.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She's tremendous, but nobody there gives a shit.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

However, it will remain in the show as long as ESPN is a shill for the sports it carries.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Yeah...are you really surprised though?

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

While it's her fault for writing that, there should've been an editor who actually spent more than 10 minutes fixing commas reading that column, and all columns for that matter. Her job is to write, and in some cases to provoke. Sometimes the writing process takes over the common sense process. The problem is, of course, the rush to get stories out online, and the pure volume they do now, cripples the editing process. Of course, most stories (aside from e-tickets) are edited poorly, if at all, there.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but disappointed on several levels.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are the junior editors empowered to spike column content, or are they expected to serve as grammar polishers for the "star" columnists?

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

See, that's now the feeling I'm getting. Since SportsJournalists.com folks started posting links to her columns, I've read as many as I could and have enjoyed the thought-provoking prose Le Anne Schreiber has pieced together.

But, the problem seems she keeps pumping out solid points yet there doesn't appear to be much in the way of reaction.

Isn't that the point of having an ombudsman - to evoke change - or is her purpose, set out by ESPN management, to appear as a talking conscience that's really a mute?

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That's really the impression this particular column gives ... she's a fig leaf for a network that wants to pay lip service to the Romensko crowd, so it can claim some journalistic cred, but there's no follow-up to anything. It's just a long litany of "gee, that shouldna happened."
    I really wonder how long it will take her to tire of this role.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There are news editors, which read for content and to look for holes and improvements, and then there are copy editors, which are the grammar and punctuation polishers.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I love Le Anne, but every time she skewers them, they agree with her, and nothing changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted