1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN ombud tees off ... again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone at the WWL understand what she is saying?

The heads appear to be nodding in agreement. The actions continue to bring questions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3485712

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Havent read this yeat, but my favorit posts on this thread lately begin with ESPN Ombud... Gotta love Leanne, even if the suits dont give a shit.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

If the heads aren't reading, they probably can't... someone should read it to them.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"The worst offense was that no senior editor read the piece, and lesser editors let the phrasing go," said Rob King, editor-in-chief of ESPN.com. "We are treating the systemic breakdown of the editing process as seriously as the offensive reference itself."

Posting a column without its being read by a senior editor was a rare violation of ESPN.com's standard editing procedure that is easily remedied by a strongly worded reminder. Much harder to remedy is the failure of three junior editors, as well as Hill, to recognize that comparing Celtic fans in Detroit to Nazi sympathizers, even as a form of comic exaggeration, was outside the bounds of acceptable commentary on ESPN.com.

1. Bullshit. The worst offense was writing the line in the first place.

2. Fucking bullshit. If it's rare for any column to be posted without being read by a senior editor, then ESPN.com needs some new senior editors. Because a lot of them, seemingly, can't edit, judging by the myriad mistakes that often appear in ESPN.com columns.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She is correct, even though she alluded to it instead of just sayingit. While Hill drew copious amounts of deserved shit for her stupid remark, Bonnie Bernstein drew a relative free pass for something as dumb or dumber.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is it just me or does Vince Doria spend a lot of time saying "you're right. We should have done it this way" and little if any time making sure that any change in policy or procedure actually happens?

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ding. Ding.

It's not just you.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No.

Just a guess.

But it's the odds-on favorite.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good, because I'd hate to think I'm dense enough to be a suit at ESPN...

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's hard to say so without knowing what's really going on, but ... yes. Looks like the guy's only there to say "Whoops ... my fault" every month, just so she can place the blame on someone.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Maybe they're too busy blogging and Twittering.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

I know Vince a bit and he's a solid guy.

I'm sure blunders like this eat at him, but his position forces him to issue lame statements like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted