1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN "Office Space" Lynn Hoppes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. DK

DK Member

What an utter fucking embarrassment.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

So much wrong with that.

Think Poynter's ombuds will write about that?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

When I saw the thread title, I thought perhaps someone had taken his red Swingline stapler.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess we know why ESPN didn't bust the Fiesta Bowl committee. John Junker? Seen his junk in the locker room.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am an avid reader of pg 2 and had no clue who the editor is.

I do know that it has become a top flight site with great writers like Wright Thompson and Jeff McGregor.

The quality of writing is now on par with The New Yorker

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I feel like Boom and Frank participated in an intricate neurological experiment, and some really weird stuff happened.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

8. daman

daman New Member

I sat in on a presentation he gave to a group of college media people in New York City and I think he name-dropped Puff Daddy, Jeremy Shockey and some other semi-popular pop cultural figure, completely unprompted. He also used the F-word (in a professional setting) about three times and - as a side note - said he drove a Mercedes. I'm making none of that up.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dreadful. Bordering on embarrassing.

And to think he could have been uncovering a scandal involving a BCS game instead [/crossthread]

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thompson and McGregor don't write for Page 2. Page 2 is Bill Simmons, D.J. Gallo, Jim Caple, Thomas Newmann, Greg Hardy, Jerry Greene and a bunch of sports-in-pop-culture bloggers.

Thompson writes for OTL/e60/eticket/whatever they want to call it. McGregor is simply an ESPN.com columnist.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Please spend your next five dollars on a copy of The New Yorker; this issue will therefore resolve itself in an incredibly decisive manner.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only place I seem to be able to find Thompson and McGregor is on page 2.

It is a shame that many top notch stories get buried.

Many times the stories I come across are by "happen stance"

Draft saved Draft deleted