1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN "Office Space" Lynn Hoppes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Hadn't seen this posted yet, but ESPN's in-house blog did a Cribs-style interview with SJ fave Lynn Hoppes, who is Page 2 editor for ESPN.com. Yes, former APSE president, showing off the swag he gets from interview subjects ...

Deadspin already chimed in:

http://deadspin.com/#!5789851

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was painful.

Just painful.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Self-awareness, thy name isn't Lynn.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK (sigh)...

This was indeed hard to watch, but the only thing I'd point out in his defense(?) is that pretty much everything he points out is at that trinket level, the kind of thing that would cause "undue embarrassment," or whatever the phrasing is, to return. M&Ms, etc...The wakeboard certainly pushes it a bit.

I wouldn't have personally done this, but it's not like he's displaying major graft as a trophy. And this is a half-hearted defense, I'll admit.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, three separate issues, then.

One is accepting schwag. Agree that everyone gets crap. And most don't return stuff, particularly at the trinket level. But the reason schwag is an issue in journalism is that it is supposed to affect coverage. And that leads to issue two: given how he jizzes over people in that video, he actually makes it look like the schwag had an impact. So you can't write it off as a bunch of trinkets. He is gushing! Which leads to issue three. He is all giddy about a bunch of silly trinkets, and name dropping the Jonahs brothers and Nelly. Forget the journalistic issues. Self-awareness, thy name isn't Lynn, as a great man once said.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

First comment on Deadspin is oustanding:

"And this was a gift from Shawn Kemp; his name is Julien."

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's not the swag, it's the horrendous name-dropping. And it's not like this guy is Rick Reilly --- he's not a writer, he's an editor, so if he's meeting all these people it's because he's schmoozing instead of working.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I really can't stop laughing. It may be days before I can see this as more than cartoonish.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Wow. Simply ... wow.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

To be fair, Lynn does produce quite a bit of content for Page 2. He likes to name drop on Facebook too, but I think a lot of the time he's meeting these people it is for interviews. In the interest of disclosure, I have done some work for Page 2. I was actually working today on some ideas to pitch to them, but to be honest it's more because the pay is decent than because I'm a much of a fan of the site.

But yeah, I probably wouldn't have done that if I was him.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Do you know how hard it is to be one of the biggest tools there? Do you?

Lynn does.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Slobbering fanboy with snout in the trough.

Draft saved Draft deleted