1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: NY Giants media slacking on coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

My first-glance impression is that the writer was ticked there was no material for him to rip off. How about reporting and writing it yourself?

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I especially like how this ESPN blogger came back for more about 2 1/2 hours later...

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Onion ought to hire that blogger

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

You know how somebody always comments in threads linking to Poynter that it's the first time they've been to Poynter since Romenesko left? It's like that for me with ESPN's NFC East Blog, but with Matt Mosley instead of Romenesko.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Pretty ridiculous of that blogger. Makes him look completely unprofessional. I understand the point of the blog, but for readers who don't, all they see is someone griping that no one's doing the work for him.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If I was a Giants reporter, I'd send the guy a tweet saying, "How about finding a story yourself, jerkoff?"

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

To be fair, the blogger was eating breakfast links his mom cooked for him and brought down to the basement, so he couldn't report. Plus, he was playing Madden, so that takes up most of the day as well.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Probably true. And they might be due just a little comp time.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about the AFC East one, but I'm biased.

As for Graziano, the "blogging from Mom's basement" barbs are a bit much for someone who covered MLB beats at the PBP and the Star-Ledger ... but c'mon, Dan, you're not doing yourself any favors here.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You know, it does read like it could be an F-U to an editor who demands two links a day. And that does sound like a process detail that an organization could get overly hung up on. The way it's written is as if there's some sort of demand out there for two links, not one.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That was my initial guess, too. And once he realized he had posted it, he just went with it. There's nothing particularly offensive about it, though Dan Graziano should know better as a former newspaper reporter. It's March. Many papers are glad to reduce the strain on their NFL writers in the quietest month on the NFL calendar. There's plenty of baseball and basketball and hockey to fill the pages.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Am I the only one who is missing the point and thinks he could crank out a second item on HIS OWN WEBSITE with a couple phone calls and about 45 minutes?

Call a free agent, call an agent, and write a meaningless item about how so-and-so had a meeting or scheduled a workout or whatever. It has almost no value, but it beats complaining about how others didn't do work for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted