1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BMuddMan, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Claire? Wouldn't she pick up the same job at Sirius next year, or have they already made a hire?

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

So will these moves trickle down into the newspaper world, too, or are the online folks such a separate entity that it won't change anything in the nascar newspaper world?

3. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Claire, that's her name. No, Sirius is putting together a completely different team, heard some name hires from the TV industry and major markets like Chicago are already in the fold. As for newspaper moves, heaven't heard any as my MASCAR friend is in tune with the online world. But the American City purchase of TSN will have some major ramifications I hear of personnel and content.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So will XM still have a NASCAR presense? If not and Claire returns to XM, would she do IRL? Or does she get an XMSN show? Couldn't be worse than that one with Carville and the 20-year-old douche.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Makes sense; ACBJ/Advance/Newhouse Newspapers/Conde Nast already owns NASCAR Scene and NASCAR Illustrated.

6. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

It's Ron Lemasters, not Masters

7. lono

lono Active Member

And the TSN NASCAR reporters have no friends at NASCAR Scene and NASCAR Illustrated. None. Zip, zero, zilch.

8. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

My guy tells me candidate #1 has indeed taken the ESPN.com gig, which will put him on TV as well as the website. Candidate #2 has indeed played ESPN against NASCAR.com and will stay with a matched offer. So ESPN will turn to another high profile candidate currently with an online entity, and if that person takes it there wil be another opening where he left. So the dominoes are still falling.

9. nascarwatcher

nascarwatcher New Member

What's unfortunately BMuddMan and the whole lot of you is that by speculating as to who's going to go where and spreading rumors about who's taken jobs, who's not, and who's playing one off the other, you're hurting not only yourselves but your colleagues. You know damn well that lots of folks, including those in power, read these boards, and by spreading such malicious information you hurt their chances at some pretty good positions.

Why make NASCAR media centers' vibes worse than they already are? Do you want more mistrust in a place where people have to work?

If you folks are not happy with your current jobs and want to spread rumors about other folks, maybe you should look at your own situation. How about actually going for those jobs that you are constantly writing about? Take action for yourself and stop this stupid banter.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Just to make sure I have this correct:

1. The newspaper industry is bleeding sportswriting jobs.
    2. ESPN.com comes to NASCAR and very publicly courts some of the best-known people in the business.
    3. ESPN makes no secret that it's offering far, far north of $100,000 annually for a .com job.
    4. Still, ESPN gets the cold shoulder from at least one and perhaps more well-known sportswriters.
    5. This is a board populated by sports journalists.
    6. Despite Nos. 1-5, no one is supposed to ask any questions about the above.

Uh, huh. ::)

11. nascarwatcher

nascarwatcher New Member

Your lack of empathy is staggering. Tell you what, try putting yourself in those folks' shoes and then see how this B.S. rumor business works for you. Guaranteed you'll get plenty of inquiries from those that could've been your future bosses and you'll end up losing tens of thousands of dollars per year that you could've earned.

There's no doubt what's happening to the newspapers is tragic, and the first thing they're doing is booting experienced, well-paid writers. Why bash those that are finding work elsewhere for good money?

12. lono

lono Active Member

I'm not bashing anyone or spreading rumors. My only point was that to expect people not to talk about this is absurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted