1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BMuddMan, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Mira

Mira Member

I know Reid is Lee's husband and his background is mainly with golf writing.

Although a couple more names that come to mind with ESPN include Jerry Bonkowski, Ryan Smithson and Pete Pistone.

2. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

Mira, don't overlook Bob Margolis or Tom Jensen. But if they really care about good reporting and good writing, they also should be looking at somebody from NASCAR Scene like Mike Hembree or Kenny Bruce. Smithson, Bonkowski, Pistone, Montgomery -- all valid names, too. There are plenty, and I mean plenty, of good people covering NASCAR these days.

3. Mira

Mira Member

What about Lee Montgomery? I miss Jeff Owens' work with Scene. I wish he did more writing instead of production duties.

4. LeeMontgomery

LeeMontgomery New Member

Lee Montgomery has no interest in going anywhere, not that anyone has asked about me. NASCAR Scene is too good of a place.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Always good to see the answer straight from the source. :)

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But as any good reporter knows ... doesn't mean he/she is telling the truth and/or giving alll of the facts.

:)

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Lee.

8. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

You guys on the beat know more than I, but a buddy of mine on the NASCAR scene says Smith is going to be part of the ESPN TV deal and ESPN.com, but the main writer will be Bonkowski (sp?) or Spencer. FoxSports.com is supposedly adding a full-time beat writer next year and Yahoo will also need someone to work with Margolis if the current guy does leave with the list of candidates at both said to include Owens, Pistone and someone currently at USA Today? Lots of maneuvering.

9. Mira

Mira Member

Let it never be said that there's no future with online gigs. If some of the print folks mentioned in this thread are considering making a jump to Web, that's a big deal.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Don't be so sure about Margolis staying at Yahoo ... heard some rumblings that he was someone being considered for the ESPN.com gig, but was waffling back and forth until recently ... apparently the rumored switch off NASCAR to doing more IRL/Champ Car/NHRA has something to do with it ...

11. donaugust

donaugust Member

Isn't everyone at USA Today basically new to their autos beat this year?

12. jacksonWRITER

jacksonWRITER New Member

Nate Ryan is relatively new to USA Today, but he comes from Virginia and has been around the sport. 

Speaking of foxsports.com, what is the deal with Ryan McGee?  I saw his name in ESPN Magazine.  Could he be one of the mystery future ESPN'ers? 

Draft saved Draft deleted