1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BMuddMan, Jul 30, 2006.

1. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Any racing people here can confirm this which we were told over the weekend? ESPN.com signed Marty Smith of NASCAR.com to be their lead NASCAR writer next year, who will also be doing on-air work including pit reporting. NASCAR.com has made a "significant offer" to bring another well-known writer to its stable as a replacement, rumored to be Spencer of The Sporting News. "Silly Season" for NASCAR writers/reporters?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As to part A, I've heard something similar for a month-plus and he's already done at least one live 6 p.m. SportsCenter spot.

Can't speak to part B, but right now it seems like anyplace would be better than The Sporting News.

Speaking of Marty Smith and his current employer, Turner Sports New Media and NASCAR signed off on a new NASCAR.com deal early this month or late in June (so much for those rumors that ESPN would take over NASCAR.com production responsibilities). According to MediaWeek, it's a long-term deal.

And speaking of people moving on, Bob Jenkins is looking for work.

3. Mira

Mira Member

I like Marty and Lee. They have great personalities, and in my opinion, work their tails off. Lee's got some solid contacts, I think NASCAR.com would be smart to hire her.

Why is The Sporting News such a bad pub/place?

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

no threadjacking :)

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Its time has passed. It's been foundering for quite a while now. I believe it's up for sale.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Story I've gotten from some pretty reliable sources is that Marty turned down an offer from ESPN to be one of their NASCAR pit reporters next year, and that ESPN.com is looking at other writers to beef up its online auto racing coverage.

7. editthis

editthis New Member

I heard a rumor that Terry Blount of the Dallas Morning News was in the running for the ESPN gig.

8. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Interesting, we heard the exact opposite, that Smith was indeed going to do pit reporting (primarily on the Busch Series) and be ESPN's lead NASCAR reporter on SportsCenter. Also heard the guy that ESPN.com was gonna bring over from another website isn't coming after all and that's where the Spencer story started, although hearing someone from USAToday is being considered for ESPN.com's lead NASCAR writing spot as well. Finally what's the rumor of The Sporting News closing in six months if a buyer isn't found and the radio end of the business is a goner for sure?

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I know the guy in question, and he's still in negotiations with ESPN ... PM me if you want a name ...

10. Mira

Mira Member

How about REID Spencer?

I've been hearing for eight or nine years that The Sporting News is going under, and it never happens. If they're tanking, why would they be attempting that NASCAR wire service?

11. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

As someone else pointed out, the wire service is funded by NASCAR. TSN is wobbling along and on the brink of extinction. Reid Spencer is Lee's husband, he was brought on (how''d that happen?!) for the wire service thing with some no name other guy and all of three papers and two radio stations have "picked up" content, with the project said to be doomed. We heard in Chicago where the raido network is based that it's over and out at year's end for them unless a buyer is found.

12. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

First let me say that I know nothing for sure about all of this. I've assumed from the word go, however, that Marty Smith would have some role going forward with ESPN. Now, I suppose it's possible that Turner would put him on the TNT races and keep him at NASCAR.com because NASCAR thinks he's perfect for the demographic they want. (He's got cool hair, you know.) My understanding is that ESPN made a run at Jenna Fryer and that led to her getting more into the motorsports coverage at AP and off the Charlotte beat that she had. Lee Spencer was talking to ESPN before the year began and may be again for all I know. Having said all of that, if ESPN has an opportunity to hire Terry Blount then it would be a big mistake not to. And I don't know who this person is from another website, but I have a strong suspicion who it would be and he'd fit perfectly because he already is completely convinced that he's a mixture of all the right elements of between Edward R. Murrow, Hunter S. Thompson and Ernest Hemmingway.

Draft saved Draft deleted