1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN/NASCAR ... no jet fuel required

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Wrong on both counts.

And "mogul," which is an individual, not a thing.

2. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

This job sounds A LOT better than making 27 grand covering boys hoop for podunk press. A LOT.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent! And if you worked at ESPN at a job like this who knows where you could wind up if you can write.

4. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Plus, you don't have worry about espn folding up shop any time soon.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any writing in this job. Looks like strictly desk to me.

6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat New Member

It's a middle level desk gig. Lots of moving copy. Very little writing, if any. You might go to a few races a year, but it likely wouldn't be as a writer. You'd chain your ass to a work station and put out the site from there. That said, it probably pays a lot better than your average prep job. And whoever said ESPN wasn't going to fold, they're right.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You're right about that. It is a desk job. I didn't clarify my point in my previous post. If you have the ability to write you don't lose that. So if you got a job here who knows what could happen in the future.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you'd possibly be lucky enough to one day do lunch with scoop.

9. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

A friend of mine recently made the jump to a gig like this (big internet site) and the pay, plus the security of knowing the place isn't going to crumble any time soon, is better than most gigs young folks get in this biz. Too bad I hate NASCAR.

Draft saved Draft deleted