1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN/NASCAR ... no jet fuel required

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Company: ESPN
    Position:
    Associate Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 21, 2007
    Job ID: 738702

Description:
    ESPN and NASCAR

Associate Editor based in Bristol , CT

ESPN.com seeks an experienced editor accustomed to working in a fast-paced workplace. Extensive knowledge of NASCAR rules, history and personalities is a must. Familiarity with all forms of motorsports is also a requirement, particularly the IndyCar, Champ Car, Formula One and NHRA POWERade series. A knowledge of current pop culture trends, television, music, video games and random facts is a plus. Candidates will be judged on their ability to follow complex directions to a conclusion, edit content for style and clarity as well as produce original content at a high rate. Associate Editor is a non-managing job, responsible for managing editorial content for a specific page, section or area of ESPN.com’s site. Alone or with other sources, the Associate Editor gathers content and coordinates coverage; works to expand and make coverage more comprehensive; works with staff writers and freelancers; generates story ideas; contributes to special features and stories and edits multiple stories, among other duties. The Associate Editor typically edits copy to meet established tone, theme accuracy, style and consistency requirements; writes copy; enhances existing material; contributes to making the site work and to creating a positive experience for users of ESPN.com. Depending upon specific coverage area or beat, the job may include responsibility for the daily content and regular “refreshes” of an assigned sports page or area of the ESPN.com site. In the absence of a senior or deputy editor, the Associate Editor may be called upon to lead a group, shift or key coverage area of the site.

Required Qualifications

Typically 3+ years of editorial and reporting experience. Has basic competence in writing, editing and reporting. Has a basic appreciation of popular culture, e.g., “what’s cool” and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of ESPN’s audiences. Has a basic understanding of the market positioning and strategies of assigned sport / event / area. Has basic ability to follow and shape stories at various stages of development. Has basic news journalism experience and news judgment; understands assigned sport(s) from a journalistic point of view, but is not locked into the newspaper tradition. Has a basic understanding of HTML and related web authoring tools and software. Strong English grammar and excellent organizational skills. Familiarity with most major internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet. Strong understanding of some or all major sports, as well as a working knowledge of athletes, coaches, league operations and the like. Bachelors degree or higher preferred in Journalism, Communications, or a related field. For consideration apply online at :

http://www.joinourteam.espn.com/joinourteam/home.html or

henry.x.markosian.-ND@espn.com

Been awhile, but PM me for basic details.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think i'd rather cover state swimming.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Yes covering state swimming is much better than working for the largest media mogel in the world, covering the largest spectator sport in the country. Good call Tom!

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well thank you so much redneck.

i guess we were wondering what all those WWF fans were doing these days.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not a big NASCAR fan, but a comparison to pro wrestling is surface-level goofy.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Wow you couldn't have peg me more accurately TP. Well done!

7. Sorry, Tom, I missed what you were saying. I was busy fucking my cousin in between the 125s, and then I watched my tape of Raw.

Oh, yes! You were having a seminar on Idiocy of Sweeping Stereotypes. Please. Continue.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you still must be sore from using all those SOS pads ... funny thing is, though, scrubbing only makes it more red, doesn't it?

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You must have been tired after smashing your cousin. You missed the last 25 miles of the 150s.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At least he knew they used to be 125s.

Anyone know if this is totally a desk job, or is there some traveling involved?

11. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

I am surprised nobody mentioned the knowing “what’s cool” requirement.

Does that mean they will want to know the playlists on my Ipod?

If I use an old Nokia cell phone, instead of one of those flip-phone-camera-internet-lunch-box-gps-equipped-amphibious models, am I shit outta luck before I apply?

Or does saying "shit outta luck" make me sound redneck enough for the job?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They put the "what's cool" line on a lot of their job listings.

Draft saved Draft deleted